VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

River PVD Millemetri modifications

Post by Mellons »

Just arrived from River today. Now to sit back and consider modifications and changes, dials and hands, case mods etc to be done here. Here are the images I have been looking at for inspiration- early prototypes in aluminium built into builds after prototype stage. Note difference in finish between cases (aluminium here) and screws, crown guard levers etc.

So after mulling over getting into pvd, the case set arrived today. First impressions are really good- very similar to steel version, parts interchangeable. Very well finished also. Plastic still on caseback and plexi. Good to have pvd pre v buckle also for immediate strap changes. Will make a great homage base. Need to look at case finishes for pvd a bit more, wear etc. The following are images of the stock case set, disregard dial it will be changed.

Well first modification is lug bars which need to be uncoated steel- changed out with spare set supplied by river.

Second modification is the caseback, red gasket and steel caseback screws. Spare steel river caseback and screws are installed. Note nice pvd finish inside case and on inner surface of caseback.

Just looking at lug bars and caseback screws in steel, they look very well and contrast nicely. Next mod is simple sanding down of screw heads for crownguard and bezel- I do this for river’s bronze case set and it makes a difference imo. Here the effect is even more accentuated due to the dark case.

Sanding down screws gives an opportunity to try different grit and grades of paper- always good to practice!

And of course the crown guard pin- removed, sanded down and reinstalled. I am also trying out substituting a spare River steel crown lever into the crown guard to see how it looks. May need a polish later on, but easily replaced depending on final dial to be used.

Now I will have a think as to whether to bevel the crown or not, and also replace plexi gasket to front with a red one. Case so far-

Pvd lever back in…

Take a breather, get it on the wrist. Look and see what catches the eye and look at old photos for inspiration again. Tropic dial could work very well here.

Last bit (for now) will be the red gasket under the plexi and crown guard gasket to get improved WR. Still mulling over bevelling crown…

And red gasket installed-
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence”

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
Nottingham
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Re: River PVD Millemetri modifications

Post by Nottingham »

Very nice pièce, wondering myself why i haven't pull tje trigger!