VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

PVD watches- thoughts?

Post by Mellons »

Hi all just wondering what experiences any owners of PVD finished watches have been? I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on river’s pvd millemetri, and was interested in finishes, mods repair and wear etc

If anyone has one, and has wear or been refinished, would be very interested to see

At one stage I had an anodised alu mm but was too worried to wear it!

Link-
Vintage Mille Metri OP text dial version in PVD coating ! | eBay

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/135123455654
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/135123455654?it ... BMtOnzmpFk
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence”

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
Fizzzz
Mad scientist
Mad scientist

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Re: PVD watches- thoughts?

Post by Fizzzz »

Hi,
I can’t tell about River’s cases,
but PVD coating is extremely resistant.
I’ve tried on a Aliexpress Seiko case and it took a lot of tough sanding / refinishing to get rid of PVD.
PVD is not like a paint, it’s inside the steel, and some treatments can harden the surface.
You can see that the parts still PVD coated won’t peel off or wear:
viewtopic.php?t=8382
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

MM perv

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

Post by Mellons »

Giod to know- wear pattern accentuates edges naturally, looks food
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence”

Belkin12
VIP
VIP

Member of the month

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Dial master

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by Belkin12 »

In my experience, PVD can vary in durability/wearability, perhaps due to layer thickness or surface finish before coating.
In any case, PVD ages beautifully. The more you wear it, the more natural it looks.
-
IMG_0982.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NortON
Watch Savant
Watch Savant

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by NortON »

Belkin12 wrote: July 8th, 2024, 2:04 am In my experience, PVD can vary in durability/wearability, perhaps due to layer thickness or surface finish before coating.
In any case, PVD ages beautifully. The more you wear it, the more natural it looks.
-

IMG_0982.jpgIMG_1014.jpgIMG_1039.jpg
D, what is this case?
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

MM perv

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

Post by Mellons »

Belkin12 wrote: July 8th, 2024, 2:04 am In my experience, PVD can vary in durability/wearability, perhaps due to layer thickness or surface finish before coating.
-

IMG_0982.jpgIMG_1014.jpgIMG_1039.jpg
This looks great- natural ageing ir did u accelerate?

Belkin12
VIP
VIP

Member of the month

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Dial master

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by Belkin12 »

Mellons wrote: July 8th, 2024, 9:41 am This looks great- natural ageing ir did u accelerate?
Delicately accelerated ;)
NortON wrote: July 8th, 2024, 2:46 am D, what is this case?
ali 5218, first batches + microblasting + ageing
NortON
Watch Savant
Watch Savant

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by NortON »

Belkin12 wrote: July 8th, 2024, 12:14 pm
Mellons wrote: July 8th, 2024, 9:41 am This looks great- natural ageing ir did u accelerate?
Delicately accelerated ;)
NortON wrote: July 8th, 2024, 2:46 am D, what is this case?
ali 5218, first batches + microblasting + ageing
Thx, great work!
Philip1944
Centurion
Centurion

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Post by Philip1944 »

The vintage-look new (2023) Radiomir California PAM01349 has patinated-like finish that Panerai calls 'Brunito' (burnished in Italian). It appears they first PVD coat the steel case, then use a polishing brush on the black PVD just enough to achieve the required burnished look. At 12,500 euros it doesn't come cheap, but I like the fact that Panerai are now producing a homage watch that guys on this forum have been achieving for years!

I am similarly experimenting, but using throw-away cases first! Next month I am acquiring a desk-top vibratory tumbler (no jokes please) and putting the PVDd cases with various abrasive materials such as tiny steel tacks, glass beads, walnut shells, and slowly agitating the contents to obtain the desired level of burnishing. If it goes well I will coat and burnish a River or NW 3646 and a Raffles 1016.

I see back in 2019 on this forum PVD cases were being aged with a green ScotchBrite pad. I will give that a try too.

PVD can be traced back to 1838 when English scientist Micheal Faraday first used it during his electricity experiments, but has only been used on watch cases since 1972 with the launch of Porsche Design Chronograph 1.

I concur with D that the finish of the initial steel surface and the quality of the PVD process is most important.
PAM1349.Radiomir.California.Brunito.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

MM perv

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

Post by Mellons »

Philip1944 wrote: July 9th, 2024, 4:14 am The vintage-look new (2023) Radiomir California PAM01349 has patinated-like finish that Panerai calls 'Brunito' (burnished in Italian). It appears they first PVD coat the steel case, then use a polishing brush on the black PVD just enough to achieve the required burnished look. At 12,500 euros it doesn't come cheap, but I like the fact that Panerai are now producing a homage watch that guys on this forum have been achieving for years!

I am similarly experimenting, but using throw-away cases first! Next month I am acquiring a desk-top vibratory tumbler (no jokes please) and putting the PVDd cases with various abrasive materials such as tiny steel tacks, glass beads, walnut shells, and slowly agitating the contents to obtain the desired level of burnishing. If it goes well I will coat and burnish a River or NW 3646 and a Raffles 1016.

I see back in 2019 on this forum PVD cases were being aged with a green ScotchBrite pad. I will give that a try too.

PVD can be traced back to 1838 when English scientist Micheal Faraday first used it during his electricity experiments, but has only been used on watch cases since 1972 with the launch of Porsche Design Chronograph 1.

I concur with D that the finish of the initial steel surface and the quality of the PVD process is most important.

PAM1349.Radiomir.California.Brunito.JPG
1349 very homageforumesque!