Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Cerakote?

Post by jrlmsla »

Mellons wrote:
TimemiT wrote: January 10th, 2022, 9:43 pm That does look very close to the "pencil lead" PVD finish in those old PAM models
jrlmsla wrote: January 10th, 2022, 9:11 pm If you go to the Cerekote website there is a section that will show you local shops who are authorized to apply the coating.

Yes it’s expensive, my original quote (for “a watch” was $60 but he assumed just case and crown. I had a 202a done and all in the coating cost me $90 because of all of the parts (crown guard pin, lever, screws, tube screws etc).

The thing I like is that the graphite black is as close as I’ve seen to the gen PVD. Only had a basic Pre-a style case so the crown guard is the wrong one but I can always get that done when I buy one.

I’m still getting the hands and movement together so not assembled but here is the case:

This looks great, finish and colour excellent. You are where i want to go...
The color is graphite black
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Scoundrel

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Post by TimemiT »

Years ago, there is a post somewhere on REP site that talks about the various PVD used on early Panerai. The Pre-Ven 5218-202 and then the A-series PVD models had a very unique PVD application ... it looks almost like pencil lead dark graphite, with a bit shine. Not sure if this was the original look on day one, or are the photos we see online a product of several years polishing? I have seen old A series PVD models where you see the finish coming off at the sharp edges of the case and bezel, from over polishing

I feel the PVD finishes that came later were not the same, Panerai may have started using a different company, or they maybe started doing PVD in-house?

Maybe a combination of this cerakote and some very fine steel wool 0000 will produce a similar antique PVD finish?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alpacalypse Now
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by jrlmsla »

From the Cerakote website:

A comparison of Cerakote and PVD:

https://www.cerakote.com/cerakote-vs-other-coatings/pvd
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by jrlmsla »

TimemiT wrote:Years ago, there is a post somewhere on REP site that talks about the various PVD used on early Panerai. The Pre-Ven 5218-202 and then the A-series PVD models had a very unique PVD application ... it looks almost like pencil lead dark graphite, with a bit shine. Not sure if this was the original look on day one, or are the photos we see online a product of several years polishing? I have seen old A series PVD models where you see the finish coming off at the sharp edges of the case and bezel, from over polishing

I feel the PVD finishes that came later were not the same, Panerai may have started using a different company, or they maybe started doing PVD in-house?

Maybe a combination of this cerakote and some very fine steel wool 0000 will produce a similar antique PVD finish?
Actually what I’m going to try when mine is assembled is to rub some gun oil into it. I came across this by “accident” because my AR15 has the same coating and where I have oiled it the coating has a bit of a waxed or rubbed finish and I think it will give the look. I’ll keep us posted.
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Mini Chat Squatter

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post by Emilio »

jrlmsla wrote:
TimemiT wrote:Years ago, there is a post somewhere on REP site that talks about the various PVD used on early Panerai. The Pre-Ven 5218-202 and then the A-series PVD models had a very unique PVD application ... it looks almost like pencil lead dark graphite, with a bit shine. Not sure if this was the original look on day one, or are the photos we see online a product of several years polishing? I have seen old A series PVD models where you see the finish coming off at the sharp edges of the case and bezel, from over polishing

Actually what I’m going to try when mine is assembled is to rub some gun oil into it. I came across this by “accident” because my AR15 has the same coating and where I have oiled it the coating has a bit of a waxed or rubbed finish and I think it will give the look. I’ll keep us posted.
Doesn't this make it look darker?(rubbing oil)
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Scoundrel

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Post by TimemiT »

impressive comparison video jrlmsla!

There are some Cerakote applicators on Etsy ... some on Ebay. Looks like alot of that process was pioneered in firearms.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1115779306 ... ck=1&frs=1
Alpacalypse Now
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by jrlmsla »

Emilio wrote:
jrlmsla wrote:

Doesn't this make it look darker?(rubbing oil)
I have thought of that, and it would. But removing as much oil as possible with buffing should work. I am going to check back with my rifle and see what happens.
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

MM perv

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

Post by Mellons »

As someone who scratches cases just by looking at them, this could be a game changer to allow me to consider a black case build...
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence”

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
guspech750
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Cerakote?

Post by guspech750 »

Mellons wrote:Anyone have cerakote applied to any builds? Im going through a dark watch phase, cant do pvd and am back looking at these guys again...

MotorCity WatchWorks | Watches

http://motorcitywatchworks.com/Watches.html
I've used Motorcity to cerakote a case, bezel and two crowns. They still look great and no scratches 5 or so years later.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.
Stupid avatar setting kept saying picture was too big.
guspech750
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Post by guspech750 »

A few pics I took just now. I think the color is called blue titanium from MotorCity.

Sent from my toilet using Kakatalk. Flushed with only a single wipe.
Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.
Stupid avatar setting kept saying picture was too big.