VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

Stallone selling his collection (part)

Post by Mellons »

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence”

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
Galevin
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Re: Stallone selling his collection (part)

Post by Galevin »

Nice video. Just wonder why a man who is easily worth 9 figures sells some of his watches at this stage of his life? I guess because he can.
Wanted: Rolerai watches or DSN 618 movements. Need one today. Contact me.
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

MM perv

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Skillful builder

Good neighbour

Post by Mellons »

I’d say he may have a lot more?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence”

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
matrixxu
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Frequent Flyer

Post by matrixxu »

It's sad to be this rich and just keep toys in their box.
I know it's different for everyone, but the dude with the lowest mileage Porsche is actually the loser, and if you just keep objects in a safe, at least to me, that is NOT enjoying them, especially when you can actually use them with zero worries.
Hypnogagia
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by Hypnogagia »

I feel the same way. I pondered dropping a bunch of cash on one expensive luxury watch years ago, but what then? I’d just want to check off that box and start looking for the next thing to get. I’m not against buying crazy expensive luxury items if it’s what someone really wants, everyone should do what makes them happy, but it doesn’t work for me.

Getting something like that is like buying a mountain that you can see from your living room window. It’s cool to know that you own it, and you can show off and say “that mountain over there, I own it”, but what then? You can climb the mountain, but what then? Hell, you could build the mountain, but again, what then?

I like the doing. I enjoy wearing the watches I build, but I’m happiest when I’m building them. Most of my collection is old parts bin movements from eBay. Some are rare, some are worth a few hundred bucks, but as is they are a heap of corroded and tarnished scrap that is on occasion extremely radioactive. I wouldn’t trade it all for a Nautilus or solid gold Pam though, unless I could sell it to amass a bigger heap of tarnished and radioactive scrap.

I wonder if he’s selling them to fund a project. Him wearing a crazy expensive watch is just assumed at this point, he could probably wear a San Martin and everyone would just assume it’s worth half a house. From the sale of those watches though, he could finance a movie or start a new company or something. He’s wealthy and connected enough to do whatever he wants, so who knows, maybe he’s just selling them to have an excuse to do something else.
I keep adding airplane parts to my motorbike but it still doesn’t fly