Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Non-homage Dive Watches
Post Reply
User avatar
daevildog
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 954
Joined: April 10th, 2018, 9:01 pm
Location: In Traffic

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Moderator

VIP

HF veteran

Good neighbour

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by daevildog »

Sublime work as usual!!!!
Skip
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep
Posts: 1
Joined: January 31st, 2024, 3:12 pm

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by Skip »

Simpsan wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 3:14 pm Many thanks to @madasboot for the dial and the tips and advice.

Image
Saw some wonderful work here so decided to join this forum. The hands on your watch appear more mellow than the stock Rdunae hands and they match the dial print very well. Did you customise those too?
Simpsan
VIP
VIP
Posts: 36
Joined: April 22nd, 2018, 12:24 am

5 year veteran

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by Simpsan »

Skip wrote: January 31st, 2024, 4:10 pm
Simpsan wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 3:14 pm Many thanks to @madasboot for the dial and the tips and advice.

Image
Saw some wonderful work here so decided to join this forum. The hands on your watch appear more mellow than the stock Rdunae hands and they match the dial print very well. Did you customise those too?
They are colour washed with Derwent Watercolour pencils.with a ‘dilute and wipe’ method it doesn’t effect the lume too much - kind of of gives a vintage feel- I can check the references I used in the morning, if you are interested.

It was normal for the pars of the mil spec watches to be sourced to different suppliers so a mismatch of lume is quite normal, due to the method of applying the lume to the hands dial if could be expected for the hands too age darker than the dial
Simpsan
VIP
VIP
Posts: 36
Joined: April 22nd, 2018, 12:24 am

5 year veteran

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by Simpsan »

Simpsan wrote: February 1st, 2024, 3:28 pm
Skip wrote: January 31st, 2024, 4:10 pm
Simpsan wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 3:14 pm Many thanks to @madasboot for the dial and the tips and advice.

Image
Saw some wonderful work here so decided to join this forum. The hands on your watch appear more mellow than the stock Rdunae hands and they match the dial print very well. Did you customise those too?
They are colour washed with Derwent Watercolour pencils.with a ‘dilute and wipe’ method it doesn’t effect the lume too much - kind of of gives a vintage feel- I can check the references I used in the morning, if you are interested.

It was normal for the pars of the mil spec watches to be sourced to different suppliers so a mismatch of lume is quite normal, due to the method of applying the lume to the hands dial if could be expected for the hands too age darker than the dial
Colours used were Copper beach, Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber
Skip
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep
Posts: 1
Joined: January 31st, 2024, 3:12 pm

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by Skip »

Very nice. I'm sure my girlfriend has those colors, artist that she is. She has dozens anyway. She's within earshot now and knows she at least has the Copper Beach, and she knows the dilute and wash method so I may have her give this a try. Thanks!
Last edited by Skip on February 2nd, 2024, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Radiomir
VIP
VIP
Posts: 267
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 11:31 am
Location: Taunus

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Good neighbour

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by Radiomir »

Oh jeez! Everytime I visit this forum I am going nuts about next build.

Did anybody tried to replace a crystal with a plexi?
User avatar
Radiomir
VIP
VIP
Posts: 267
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 11:31 am
Location: Taunus

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Good neighbour

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by Radiomir »

… and of course bezel insert
Simpsan
VIP
VIP
Posts: 36
Joined: April 22nd, 2018, 12:24 am

5 year veteran

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by Simpsan »

Radiomir wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 2:06 pm Oh jeez! Everytime I visit this forum I am going nuts about next build.

Did anybody tried to replace a crystal with a plexi?
I have the RDUNAE case which has been modded into the BP USN (above) which has hah a Crystal replacement to a GS Divertite, but I think the photo is before the swap. I also have the generic Ali Case that has been modded to the Mil Ships Bulova, I replaced the crystal with a Robur crystal and an insert change to a plexiglass one I bought off this forum

Image
User avatar
dj57
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot
Posts: 1379
Joined: September 21st, 2021, 3:19 pm

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by dj57 »

Simpsan wrote:
Simpsan wrote: February 1st, 2024, 3:28 pm
Skip wrote: January 31st, 2024, 4:10 pm Saw some wonderful work here so decided to join this forum. The hands on your watch appear more mellow than the stock Rdunae hands and they match the dial print very well. Did you customise those too?
They are colour washed with Derwent Watercolour pencils.with a ‘dilute and wipe’ method it doesn’t effect the lume too much - kind of of gives a vintage feel- I can check the references I used in the morning, if you are interested.

It was normal for the pars of the mil spec watches to be sourced to different suppliers so a mismatch of lume is quite normal, due to the method of applying the lume to the hands dial if could be expected for the hands too age darker than the dial
Colours used were Copper beach, Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber
Ordered and received today. Image
Image
Image
Image
Thanks Image
Let’s see what I can do. Image
User avatar
dj57
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot
Posts: 1379
Joined: September 21st, 2021, 3:19 pm

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Re: Blancpain US Navy… now within reach

Post by dj57 »

Not bad result.
Image
Post Reply