Let's do something exciting... Start a HF project?

Just joined? Tell us about yourself

Please select one

Eterna-matic kontiki super idf
7%
Longines hydrographic survey
1%
r0lex deep sea special
9%
Something unique with tritium tubes (and modern stuff)
4%
Longines or Eterna Czech Air Force watch
4%
62mas
1%
Seamaster
9%
Fifty fathoms
19%
"Modern" 3 piece style (like a modern 3646)
16%
Rolex Zerograph
27%

Total votes: 67

Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

Frequent Flyer

Strap maker

Mad scientist

Good neighbour

Re: Let's do something exciting... Start a HF project?

Post by Phaedros »

I spent some time tinkering and got the idea for a pretty simple (compared to a whole watch from scratch) mod to make. I‘ll try to be rather specific of who gave me the ideas here because I can’t tell you how much I enjoy the HF for it‘s creative energy!

After seeing this:
I lurked a bit into the seiko mods and after marveling at [mention]Emilio[/mention] ‘s 3D modeling skills and his mention of shapeways I expanded a bit on what I mentioned a few posts earlier in this thread.

Why not turn down an existing bezel in diameter and height and 3D-print a „sleeve“-bezel in metal to sit ontop of it. This could be soldered/ tig-brazed/ whatever in place...

This way the machining involved is down to making the „sleeve“ fit over the original bezel. No issues concerning water resistance, making the bezel click, etc.

I took some measurements and Emilio agreed to design an Egi bezel to fit ontop of the Seiko SKX that will be fitted with a top hat crystal to gain some bulk. Overall diameter without crown will be 43mm... a micro-Egi :mrgreen:

It would be considerably easy to adapt this to the Zerographe as well as to different cases (Tudor black bay no cg for example). Considering the quality of the 3D prints (they even do lost wax in non ferrous metals) it could be a fun way to get there without the need for a five axis milling machine...
„I asked her for gasoline, she gave me water...“

Me, side of the road, pushing my bike.
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by jrlmsla »

Phaedros wrote:I spent some time tinkering and got the idea for a pretty simple (compared to a whole watch from scratch) mod to make. I‘ll try to be rather specific of who gave me the ideas here because I can’t tell you how much I enjoy the HF for it‘s creative energy!

After seeing this:
I lurked a bit into the seiko mods and after marveling at [mention]Emilio[/mention] ‘s 3D modeling skills and his mention of shapeways I expanded a bit on what I mentioned a few posts earlier in this thread.

Why not turn down an existing bezel in diameter and height and 3D-print a „sleeve“-bezel in metal to sit ontop of it. This could be soldered/ tig-brazed/ whatever in place...

This way the machining involved is down to making the „sleeve“ fit over the original bezel. No issues concerning water resistance, making the bezel click, etc.

I took some measurements and Emilio agreed to design an Egi bezel to fit ontop of the Seiko SKX that will be fitted with a top hat crystal to gain some bulk. Overall diameter without crown will be 43mm... a micro-Egi :mrgreen:

It would be considerably easy to adapt this to the Zerographe as well as to different cases (Tudor black bay no cg for example). Considering the quality of the 3D prints (they even do lost wax in non ferrous metals) it could be a fun way to get there without the need for a five axis milling machine...
Ooohhh
An SKX base EGI??
I like that idea.
A Skegi!!
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

Frequent Flyer

Strap maker

Mad scientist

Good neighbour

Post by Phaedros »

jrlmsla wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:27 pm Ooohhh
An SKX base EGI??
I like that idea.
A Skegi!!
Yes, and this would just be a proof of concept... As soon as I can make this work it would be adaptable to almost any case with a rotating bezel.
The SKX is a good starting point, because of the high availability of parts. I‘m really eager to find out if the print quality of the shapeways parts is as good as advertised and how this stuff behaves on the lathe. Figured the best way to connect the bezels would be by soldering, my tig might burn through this in a fracture of a second...

Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Mini Chat Squatter

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post by Emilio »

Phaedros wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:40 am
An SKX base EGI??
I like that idea.
A Skegi!!
Yes, and this would just be a proof of concept... As soon as I can make this work it would be adaptable to almost any case with a rotating bezel.
The SKX is a good starting point, because of the high availability of parts. I‘m really eager to find out if the print quality of the shapeways parts is as good as advertised and how this stuff behaves on the lathe. Figured the best way to connect the bezels would be by soldering, my tig might burn through this in a fracture of a second...
I own a hobby 3D printer, so I can get parts printed in plastic. Not the same level of finish but maybe enough to try the fit.
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

Frequent Flyer

Strap maker

Mad scientist

Good neighbour

Post by Phaedros »

Emilio wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 3:05 am
Phaedros wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:40 am
An SKX base EGI??
I like that idea.
A Skegi!!
I own a hobby 3D printer, so I can get parts printed in plastic. Not the same level of finish but maybe enough to try the fit.
That would be great of course! Would be a good option to see if my measurements are on spot and what the overall esthetic outcome could be like.

Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Mini Chat Squatter

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post by Emilio »

[mention]Phaedros[/mention] 's idea
egi bezel for Seiko v1 a.png
egi bezel for Seiko v1 b.png
egi bezel for Seiko v1 c.png
egi bezel for Seiko v1 d.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

Frequent Flyer

Strap maker

Mad scientist

Good neighbour

Post by Phaedros »

Exciting this is!

Thank you [mention]Emilio[/mention] for the drawing! Can‘t wait to get this together.

I just sent you a pm for the details...

toofsy
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

HF veteran

Strap maker

Skillful builder

Post by toofsy »

Nice idea guys, weel done Emilio.
I think the 3h crown without crown guard case from Crystaltime could be perfect for this project, with a tophat sapphyr.

Full compatible with SKX 007 components
NH35 mouvement and handset

IconRays - aNYstrap - Ateliers d'Embellie
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

Frequent Flyer

Strap maker

Mad scientist

Good neighbour

Post by Phaedros »

toofsy wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 1:28 pm Nice idea guys, weel done Emilio.
I think the 3h crown without crown guard case from Crystaltime could be perfect for this project, with a tophat sapphyr.

Full compatible with SKX 007 components
NH35 mouvement and handset

Perfect! Yes, it was designed for the ct101 :mrgreen: - this is coming together nicely. Thank you!

Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Mini Chat Squatter

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post by Emilio »

design update
egi bezel for Seiko v2 a.png
egi bezel for Seiko v2 b.png
egi bezel for Seiko v2 c.png
egi bezel for Seiko v2 d.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.