Tinkerer

I'm hot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

HF veteran

Re: Tools needed

Post by cosmic2000 »

straps68 wrote:.

Another great tool to have is a demagnetizer. Here as an exception, a Chinese one from eBay will do great for just a few bucks.
That would be interesting for mee, too. I wasn't lucky with buying mine so I look for a new demagnitiser. Can you probably post a link, please?

Cheers cosmic2000
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

Mine looks like this (I picked a seller at random) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Demagnetizer ... ScNKdRyd_w:

cosmic2000
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

I'm hot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

HF veteran

Post by cosmic2000 »

Thanks a lot, mate.
Cheers cosmic
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

cosmic2000 wrote: May 26th, 2018, 9:43 am Thanks a lot, mate.
Cheers cosmic
You're welcome. Just make sure to pick one with a European plug :)
Luminor
VIP
VIP

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by Luminor »

How about tools to time a mechanism and equipment for pressure testing cases? Recommendations?
3646, gen. dial 3 of 3, coming soon.
3646, gen. dial 2 of 3, http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82
3636, gen. dial 1 of 3, http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

Luminor wrote: May 26th, 2018, 10:55 pm How about tools to time a mechanism and equipment for pressure testing cases? Recommendations?
I use the cheapest Timegrapher no.1000. I think it works great, so much better than any watch timing app for Android.

The only pressure testing tool I've used was a bucket of water :lol:
djolemag
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

HF veteran

Skillful builder

Watchmaker

Post by djolemag »

Well, it always start as someone said, by project. However, clean and proper lubricated movement is essential, at least for me. So bying ultrasonic cleaner, some baskets and cleaning solutions is at top of list too... Altought, today I can't imagine to work without watch cleaning machine and timegrapher... It really depends on what you will do mostly... Try to buy on bay, watchmaker tools of good quality, they are usually much better than chinese new tools, especially screwdrivers and tweezers...
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Post by unreformed66 »

Jerrr88 wrote: May 24th, 2018, 10:27 pm Okay looking at these screw drivers, which would you go with? If it’s the individually sold ones then what sizes would you suggest?
https://www.esslinger.com/af-6-pc-profe ... oden-case/

https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-6899- ... -in-pouch/

https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-8899- ... ividually/

I’m also looking at some Bergeron Carbon Fiber Tweezers & Presto Hand Remover.
If I had to choose from the ones you linked to I'd go with the AF set. But here's the deal. Go look around before you spend any money on screwdrivers. STAY AWAY from the Chinese or Indian stuff, you'll only be disappointed. I personally don't care for screwdrivers with set screws to hold the blade in the shaft. I like collet style screwdrivers myself. Go look around for a vintage set of Favorite, K&D, C&E Marshall, Vigor or even the AF or Bergeon if you like that style. And as for blades I've been making my own out of sewing needles for almost 3 decades now. Buy the best ones you can find (they're still dead cheap), clip off the ends and eyes and then sharpen them with whetstones. You don't want the soft Chinese needles, you want ones that are harder and somewhat more brittle. Or of course you can always spend the money for replacement blades.

As for tweezers only the best will do. Dumont, Vigor, and etc. Years ago I bought I bunch of Italian tweezers that were branded Viola that were pretty good. It's hard to find good used tweezers. Most of the used ones out there have been sharpened many times and aren't as fine as they were when new. The most common patterns that watchmakers use are the 3C (general assembly and etc.) and 5 (hairspring work). With the #5 you can pick up a hair from a piece of glass. You don't need anything that fine to start with, buy yourself a good set of 3C and TAKE CARE OF THEM!!. No prying with them, dropping them on the floor on the points, and etc. If you do screw up the tips on your tweezers you can re-point them on a fine whetstone if you're careful. Once they've been "pointed up" a few times you end up using them for courser work and replace them with new ones for hairsprings and etc. I've got tweezers that I've had for nearly 30 years that I still use daily. I don't use the stainless or antimagnetic ones because they're soft and more easily deformed. Good old carbon steel is the way to go. Just keep them wiped off and hit them with a little oil on a rag once in a while to keep them from rusting and you're golden.

And that's enough for today...;).
daevildog

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Good neighbour

Post by daevildog »

Jerrr88 wrote: May 25th, 2018, 8:09 am Do you like that set daevildog?

Yes, good quality set.