VIP

I'm hot

VIP

HF veteran

Strap maker

8 giorni nut

Re: Any watches and those unfinished with Oyang case sets

Post by thelonedoc »

So far I'm not buying into the hype. That 6154 just looks totally wrong. I have heard so much praise for these oyang cases, I am actually really surprised.

I wanna see the 3646 now, maybe I just dont have the whole story yet.
civic4982
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Post by civic4982 »

earloflondon wrote:Woohoo. Civic it's a real beauty.
Waiting for others to come forward.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk
Thanks not sure about accuracy but the fit and finish of this case is beyond any I’ve ever owned.

It cost a lot to make and therefore cost a lot to buy. The most interesting thing is that the lower bezel screws in and the feel of the case is quite slim.

If I were to fiddle with it more I’d hit it with some files to better pronounce the creases.

I had owned a River case and still own an Athaya 6154 in bronze. I’ll say those are definitely not budget feel whereas even in its thinness this case has a hefty of quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by earloflondon »

thelonedoc wrote:So far I'm not buying into the hype. That 6154 just looks totally wrong. I have heard so much praise for these oyang cases, I am actually really surprised.

I wanna see the 3646 now, maybe I just dont have the whole story yet.
To be honest I have seen 3646 cases before, not 6154s. Yes it does not seem too correct. But what the heck. It looks nice. Most hand finished gen cases show fewer discrepancies from one another, and still they are gen and the shapes of each are correct somehow. Anyway, I liked it, and I too would like to see a 3646Image

thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

I'm hot

VIP

HF veteran

Strap maker

8 giorni nut

Post by thelonedoc »

Yeah dont get me wrong, the watch still looks great.

I just don't think I could ever justify buying a case that is less accurate than gen, yet much more expensive than the other available cases.

The athaya case from what I understand requires very little work to be practically perfect. I am assuming the the oyang case costs several times more.

To me that doesn't make sense.

It's not like the situation with 3646 from esdee vs. the readily available alternatives where you are paying more for a significantly higher level of accuracy/quality.

Again I admit that I could be missing something, since I am not even remotely well versed in these oyang cases.

I guess I am trying to make sense of the hype more than anything else.
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by earloflondon »

Here I found Daevildog's bucket

https://s996.photobucket.com/user/daevi ... 154?page=1

Yes upper body curves are lower than the ones on the gen on this case too. It looks more like a 6153 in some ways.

Check this bucket too (warbird_005's). There are a couple of 3646 pics.

https://s629.photobucket.com/user/warbi ... ary?page=1

earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Post by earloflondon »

No you're not missing anything. I have heard so much about these cases and the legend. Well I haven't seen as many. There may be a hype I don't have any idea about. All I know is homage world is such a place where anyone is free to like whatever s/he wants, as those gens are almost never as reachable as the homages and at such costs. So chill

thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

I'm hot

VIP

HF veteran

Strap maker

8 giorni nut

Post by thelonedoc »

The fact that you say "heard so much" and used the word "legend" is exactly what I mean by hype. That paired with the fact that everyone talks about how expensive oyang cases are.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their personal taste the same way I am entitled to question the hype.

I'm honestly not trying to stir up a controversy, I am genuinely trying to figure out what all of the fuss is about. So far I still cant understand it.

Maybe someone will chime in with a peice of the "legend" that will make it all make sense. Until then I will be just as confused as I was when this conversation started.
Ciccio
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Post by Ciccio »

thelonedoc wrote:The fact that you say "heard so much" and used the word "legend" is exactly what I mean by hype. That paired with the fact that everyone talks about how expensive oyang cases are.

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their personal taste the same way I am entitled to question the hype.

I'm honestly not trying to stir up a controversy, I am genuinely trying to figure out what all of the fuss is about. So far I still cant understand it.

Maybe someone will chime in with a peice of the "legend" that will make it all make sense. Until then I will be just as confused as I was when this conversation started.
Totally legitimate question from you to question the ‘hype’. I’ll take a stab at answering from as far as I can understand... I think it comes down to some specific case projects that have been undertaken from members here, as opposed to ‘businesses’ where the production numbers were very limited and made possible only through the support (or crowdfunding) from the hf community. Case sets like Oyang were basically the definition of ‘amateur’ works... projects of passion and love who’s end result was a great quality case set which wasn’t necessarily a ‘true’ copy of the case it was trying to imitate. So yes, these case sets command a premium because they’re basically like hen’s teeth and rarely come up for sale... but I totally get it from someone who’s building a Homage might question spending 3-4 times the prices when a similar much more accurate case set could be purchased from a produced like River.

Hopefully that was helpful.

Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Mini Chat Squatter

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post by Emilio »

Well, back in the day it was the best option in regards to finish quality and construction.

It's still a good example of good craftsmanship.
civic4982
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Post by civic4982 »

Emilio wrote:Well, back in the day it was the best option in regards to finish quality and construction.

It's still a good example of good craftsmanship.

For those who have handled these 6154 cases I challenge their quality of construction, precision, and feel to any of the more mass produced cases. In fact I’d put this case next to a the best of modern Panerai gen steel cases in terms of quality fit and finish.

These were made at high expense in limited number very similar to Esdee’s cases in years past.

They came before we had the great access to nice quality works like NW’s and Athaya’s series of cases and were made in less than a few dozen totally.

The one I’ve seen from Oyang himself was made of German Silver and quite a lovely finish that really leaves an impression.

Oyang mainly built them for himself and in the process sold a few to help fund the total cost. It was never meant to be something to make in large numbers to become a supplier.

Made “for the love of the game” if you will.

I think he would make a case that his 6154 case and the 3646 were made to the precision’s of the cases he either examined or closely studied.