Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
rustyscoot
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Unobtainable watch parts

Post by rustyscoot »

Hi,

Does anyone here have the capacity to make setting lever springs? And if so what is the cost for one piece?

I’m restoring a Cortebert trench watch featuring a Calibre 489 movement. Unfortunately this is a rare beast, it’s the hunter version of the more common 488 and the train flows in the opposite direction. Wheels / stems are interchangeable but setting parts are directional.

the original setting lever has snapped, like they do, and I am unable to source another. I have bought one for the 488 however it is the wrong way round. I’ve knocked nipple out and put it into the opposite side and it functions, the problem is that the countersunk holes leave only the slightest bit of meat, too little to allow me to make a counter-countersink. This means that the dial doesn’t quite sit right, also the enlarged holes now on the intermediate setting wheel side allow the screwed down spring to put too much friction on the minute wheel causing stoppage.

I could fill the void with resin, re-drill the holes and use dial dots to level out the increased height of the screws and might well do so, but if somebody here does have the skills and the equipment and the price isn’t too prohibitive then it may well be worth it. I have only seen 4 examples of this watch and at 40mm it’s the ultimate top quality WW1 trench watch.
Thanks.
rustyscoot
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Re: Unobtainable watch parts

Post by rustyscoot »

Oh and if anyone can make or happens to have a blued steel cathedral minute hand 17mm with a 1.12mm hole I am well up for it! I’ll even blue it myself raw steel is fine….
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

I have made quite a few of these springs in the past.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
rustyscoot
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Post by rustyscoot »

Interesting…… 🧐 was it traumatic?
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

rustyscoot wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:53 am Interesting…… 🧐 was it traumatic?
No, not at all! 😂
rustyscoot
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Post by rustyscoot »

Yoda wrote: November 16th, 2022, 11:12 am
rustyscoot wrote: November 16th, 2022, 10:53 am Interesting…… 🧐 was it traumatic?
No, not at all! 😂
That’s good to know. I’m sure you are busy, I’ve got several projects on the go and 200 types of balance staffs to reference and list blah blah but if you ever fancy making one or several if it’s easier, I would be forever in your debt. It’s a keeper watch - here it is next to a 35mm Borgel. Please excuse its special hand.
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Post by Yoda »

How about asking vacheron.nl, it's an eBay store?
rustyscoot
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Post by rustyscoot »

I know them well. They’ve helped me save many a timepiece. I’ve dropped them a message. Let’s see what happens. Thanks Yoda.