General watch-related discussion
Philip1944
Centurion
Centurion

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Small can be beautiful!

Post by Philip1944 »

I know you guys are into big, and anything less than a 44 mm dial probably has about as much appeal as a badger sandwich. But as we all love watches I thought I would share with you this Corum originally sold in the 1970s in an 18ct gold case for just over 20,000 euros (small dial: big numbers!) The champagne linen dial is quite stunning if, like me, you're into minimal. With the high price of gold the likely scenario is that the original case was sold for it's bullion value and the movement and dial abandoned, a fate more frequently associated with pocket watches. The original hand wound movement is a robust ETA/Peseux 7001 10.5 ligne 2.5mm thickness 21,600 bph, regarded as one of Peseux's finest designs. First introduced in 1971, it is a class apart and has proven reliability through the decades. Corum used the top-grade specification of this calibre and further refined it with the addition of 4 jewels to the existing 17 and decorated the bridges with a Côtes de Genève finish. The movement is serviced and cleaned and keeps exceptionally time, and I have fitted it into a stainless steel 37mm case from Ickler in Germany which I have polished down to a satin finish. Part of the pleasure is having salvaged and recycled some nice components. Small can be beautiful! Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
103169-01.JPG
103169-02.JPG
103169-03.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Mini Chat Squatter

Car lover

Bike lover

Knife maker

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Re: Small can be beautiful!

Post by Yoda »

Philip1944 wrote: November 4th, 2022, 11:55 am I know you guys are into big, and anything less than a 44 mm dial probably has about as much appeal as a badger sandwich. But as we all love watches I thought I would share with you this Corum originally sold in the 1970s in an 18ct gold case for just over 20,000 euros (small dial: big numbers!) The champagne linen dial is quite stunning if, like me, you're into minimal. With the high price of gold the likely scenario is that the original case was sold for it's bullion value and the movement and dial abandoned, a fate more frequently associated with pocket watches. The original hand wound movement is a robust ETA/Peseux 7001 10.5 ligne 2.5mm thickness 21,600 bph, regarded as one of Peseux's finest designs. First introduced in 1971, it is a class apart and has proven reliability through the decades. Corum used the top-grade specification of this calibre and further refined it with the addition of 4 jewels to the existing 17 and decorated the bridges with a Côtes de Genève finish. The movement is serviced and cleaned and keeps exceptionally time, and I have fitted it into a stainless steel 37mm case from Ickler in Germany which I have polished down to a satin finish. Part of the pleasure is having salvaged and recycled some nice components. Small can be beautiful! Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
103169-01.JPG103169-02.JPG103169-03.JPG
Corum is indeed a high end maker, congratulations to an awesome end result!
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
miki360
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Small can be beautiful!

Post by miki360 »

Very nice.
Mellons