Rivets for pilot style straps

Strap, buckle, and box making, reviews, and more
calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Rivets for pilot style straps

Post by calvinktlim »

Some time ago, i tried to order pilot style straps with screw on rivets from several strap makers only do discover that they do not make it in that style (or do not keep stock of screw back rivets).

Having recently retrieved my vintage longines pilot watches with soldered lugs from the safe, i find myself once again needing to source for straps i can use with fixed lugs and this time, my solution is to buy those rivets and affix then to the straps myself.

Anyone have any idea what dimensions i should be looking at (i was thinking 6mm diameter and 3.5 to 4mm height - are pilot style straps usually so thick?)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Rivets for pilot style straps

Post by straps68 »

calvinktlim wrote: March 10th, 2021, 1:28 am Some time ago, i tried to order pilot style straps with screw on rivets from several strap makers only do discover that they do not make it in that style (or do not keep stock of screw back rivets).

Having recently retrieved my vintage longines pilot watches with soldered lugs from the safe, i find myself once again needing to source for straps i can use with fixed lugs and this time, my solution is to buy those rivets and affix then to the straps myself.

Anyone have any idea what dimensions i should be looking at (i was thinking 6mm diameter and 3.5 to 4mm height - are pilot style straps usually so thick?)

The size will probably depend on the width of the strap and your preference. Long time ago I made a strap with "rivets" or actually Chicago screws as they're really called. The smallest I could find back then was 9mm diameter , which is a little big even for a 26mm strap, and 6mm tall, which is way too thick for most straps. I think the selection might be better now.
blueradish
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by blueradish »

These are very hard to find. Best I can find are these but the price is ridiculous. There has to be a supplier that sells these in bulk for a reasonable price

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295041 ... 2e0e59PZU0
Click the banner below to go to my Strap Gallery

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by straps68 »

blueradish wrote: March 10th, 2021, 3:30 pm These are very hard to find. Best I can find are these but the price is ridiculous. There has to be a supplier that sells these in bulk for a reasonable price

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295041 ... 2e0e59PZU0
Yep, they're pretty much unobtainium. I remember spending days looking for the damn things, IIRC around 2012/13.

Pretty much easier to just rivet the strap on and drill them out when it's time for strap change. Probably best to use copper rivets though as copper is soft.
calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by calvinktlim »

Although i am not so conversant in mandarin, i have been able to buy things from taobao.com which is basically a chinese version of amazon where you can find literally anything.

If strap building members are interested, i can also help to coordinate a buy at actual cost plus (a small plus to cover any exchange rate losses or in kind)

But first, i need to know dimensions.

jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Post by jrlmsla »

They are called Chicago screws. Don’t know why but they are. Easier to find when you learn the name.

The buckle guy sells them by the bag of 50 for less than $20.

https://www.buckleguy.com/Search.html#/ ... egory=F186

My favorite source for online hardware:

https://www.mcmaster.com/chicago-screws ... nd-screws/
calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by calvinktlim »

Great! I asked a few sellers on taobao but it seems they all sell 10mm which is way too big for straps

calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by calvinktlim »

Would this work? Image

tafari
VIP
VIP

Post by tafari »

I use ss revets 6mm and hight 4mm, can’t remember where I bought them, but I can look later. I still remember, I got problem a lot to find them.

Kp0y
VIP
VIP

Post by Kp0y »