Buckle Rash strap...

Strap, buckle, and box making, reviews, and more
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Re: Buckle Rash strap...

Post by Phaedros »

[mention]mountaineer[/mention] [mention]NortON[/mention] [mention]Emilio[/mention] Thank you guys - building this was a lot of fun!
„I asked her for gasoline, she gave me water...“

Me, side of the road, pushing my bike.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

A parcel arrived in Sweden today, the surprise one!

An awesome strap, wicked attention to details, the box alone is worth looking at, the details regarding the brass pins, simply wicked!

I have already received one a while ago, both were made especially for my manual no date Seamaster 120 sporting a calibre 601. How can one not be over the moon?
20210310_160505_resized.jpg
20210310_160515_resized.jpg
20210310_160602_resized.jpg
20210310_160638_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Phaedros wrote: March 1st, 2021, 9:00 am It arrived - Great to see you like it! And the packaging as well 😅 I have a thing for worn, old guitars as well, hence the name.

I was lucky enough to be able to study some leather wares from the ww2 era up close to determine stitching and threads and turned up to use thick linnen thread I coated in beeswax for this. The leather is originated a bit later, around ‘55 from the swiss army. It’s remarkably soft for the age.

The strap works really well with your submersible!

@insideo It wasn’t my first or second really, I made some more in the quiet of my shop and ruined a lot of leather in the process...

I am working on a very delicate strap for an omega watch right now and it‘s driving me nuts, because I already am at V5 now and screw up something each time I think I got it right.

@straps68 It really am grateful to work with your straps, so much care in the construction! This one, as per request, is mildly aged - I am doing a pictorial right now on the process...
You didn't screw up the last one, it is perfect! I should shoot some leather you way! Black and brown is available and I would like to get rid of it all as I am completely lost regarding making straps..
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Thank you [mention]Yoda[/mention] ! I am relieved it finally arrived... what a ride! The first one was a prototype with all the quirks and difficulties associated. Some holes punched askew, or not at all, the padding not perfectly centered and so on. I really struggled to make the next one, because I couldn’t get the mistakes to disappear. Something always went wrong and so five whole sets went to the bin - until I made the one you got now. It’s incomparable what you feel, when you hold something you have made that is exactly what you wanted it to be.
There’s such a rich back story to this whole journey and I really thank you for all this! If you have some bits of leather to spare, I‘ll gladly take them, they will make special straps for sure.

Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Phaedros wrote: March 10th, 2021, 11:51 am Thank you @Yoda ! I am relieved it finally arrived... what a ride! The first one was a prototype with all the quirks and difficulties associated. Some holes punched askew, or not at all, the padding not perfectly centered and so on. I really struggled to make the next one, because I couldn’t get the mistakes to disappear. Something always went wrong and so five whole sets went to the bin - until I made the one you got now. It’s incomparable what you feel, when you hold something you have made that is exactly what you wanted it to be.
There’s such a rich back story to this whole journey and I really thank you for all this! If you have some bits of leather to spare, I‘ll gladly take them, they will make special straps for sure.
Thank you, we have come a long way in a short time! Sorry that you had to send your work to the bin! If only I could do that.....LOL!

I will pack a box of leather and send it your way, just need to find a big box. Haha!
calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by calvinktlim »

Those are beautiful. I love to see more and more makers and builders joining the forum and enriching it for the rest of us :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

The best thing is that this Seamaster 120 was dirt cheap, one of my three best deals ever.
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Yoda wrote: March 11th, 2021, 11:22 am The best thing is that this Seamaster 120 was dirt cheap, one of my three best deals ever.
I remember your post on this... „almost for free“ would put it better :wtf:

I didn’t really mind binning my work... what made me mad was that I ran into the same problem three times and repeated the same darn mistake until I realized that my whole approach was wrong.

Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Finally got around to make one for me as well...

24/24 for the 111 (excuse the fingerprints), 5mm thick, veg tan leather - lightly distressed, aged [mention]straps68[/mention] buckle (etched, burnt and beaten :evil: ), beeswaxed linnen thread, saddle stitched by hand.

straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by straps68 »

Good job!