Hamilton Models

Vintage pieces, golden era of USA pocket watches, etc
heretical_contrarian
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Hamilton Models

Post by heretical_contrarian »

I'm putting together a build list for a new project (two hander) and am planning on putting a hamilton in it.

There seems to be an impressive amount of 9xx models out there, are there any specific models I should be shopping for?

My limited research is leading me to believe a 917 would be a good choice. Really just looking for a rugged, reliable movement that can take a beating.
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Re: Hamilton Models

Post by unreformed66 »

The 917, 921,923 and 945 are all 10 size movements that have the Swiss style stem setup and are positive set. These will fit the standard cases that are available for the 917 movements. There are dozens of other Hamilton movements but they're all other sizes and negative set (the stem is part of the case not part of the movement) which are far more problematic to case. As for "rugged" you've got to understand that NONE of them have any shock protection. They were pocket watch movements and not meant to be made into wristwatches. Of course the vast majority of the wristwatches before the 1940s also had no shock protection but they also had smaller balances that weighed less and weren't as likely to break a balance staff pivot if they took a bump.
heretical_contrarian
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by heretical_contrarian »

unreformed66 wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 7:38 pm As for "rugged" you've got to understand that NONE of them have any shock protection. They were pocket watch movements and not meant to be made into wristwatches.
Thanks for the reply! The model numbers helped a lot. As for shock protection, in your experience has the lack of shock protection been a factor in standard everyday wear?
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

Not as long as you don't beat on them or drop them or otherwise mistreat them. And the good thing is that if worse comes to worst and you break a staff I can change one in about 20 minutes..lol. The later model Hamilton 10 size watches have a friction fit staff. You just remove the hairspring and roller table, drive out the old staff, drive in the new staff and replace the hairspring and roller table. They rarely require poising or any other work. Good stuff, far better than Corteberts or Molnijas.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

20 minutes, you need to practice more! LOL!

Average is 20 minutes, unless it took a hard blow.

I remember that Roland Murphy pointed out that fact as well. Good movements, but the 921 and 923 are the most beautiful movements of the four.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

Great info guys ... I always enjoyed the look of hamilton's, especially the 921 and have a couple hoarded away .. Leewei style :lol:
Alpacalypse Now