Split Seconds Build help

General watch-related discussion
frankfrank
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Split Seconds Build help

Post by frankfrank »

Hello Gents,

I'm looking for a little help sourcing a few parts on this build and also about the movement.

I have a dial maker but have been unable to find:
- 44mm single pusher case set ( ive contacted a few vendors and still waiting to hear back from phong and MQ)
- Hands
- movement (questions)

Movement:
- I have heard a 7753 clone will work.
- will sub-dials line up correctly with either of these movements in a 44mm case?
- do i need a special movement for a 24 hour dial or am i able to have one of the above movements modified to keep the correct time on that dial?

Thank you in advance

Logan
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Car lover

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Re: Split Seconds Build help

Post by Tanukjaju »

I personally will start with a regular case you really like, check with Neckyzips or Gordon to see if they can machine and install a pusher.

That’s one possibility. Love that watch above...yours?

Holy crap BTW. This will be a fun, challenging and exciting build.
:shifty:

frankfrank
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by frankfrank »

Tanukjaju wrote: May 20th, 2018, 7:44 am I personally will start with a regular case you really like, check with Neckyzips or Gordon to see if they can machine and install a pusher.

That’s one possibility. Love that watch above...yours?

Holy crap BTW. This will be a fun, challenging and exciting build.

Perfect thanks I'll contact those guys

Yeah it's a great piece. Not mine, can't stop thinking about it since I first saw it on Hodinkee IG

Looking forward to getting all the pieces together :)
spade_lt
VIP
VIP

Member of the month

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by spade_lt »

Sorry to say so, but if You want to make a close copy of that one, it's more of a challenge than You tink...

Starting with movement: 7753 is not a split second monopusher chrono - it's a "normal" two pusher chronograph with relocated subdials (compared to 7750). I have seen for sale on ebay 7750 based split seconds movements, but they are costly and they are three pusher variants usually (and have subdials in stock locations).
And, as much as I know, 7753 is not GMT, so no 24h hand. 7754 has the GMT hand, but it has the usual location of the subdials.
Basically, even if you decide to forego split seconds functionality and stay with simple chrono, Your first challenge is finding a movement with both 24h indication and subdials at 3 and 9... from the top of my head I can't think of one that would be at least somewhat affordable.

And one more thing - Universal Geneve in the pictures is not monopusher either, it's a two pusher watch, - look closely at the crown ;)
frankfrank
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by frankfrank »

spade_lt wrote: May 20th, 2018, 8:44 am Sorry to say so, but if You want to make a close copy of that one, it's more of a challenge than You tink...

Starting with movement: 7753 is not a split second monopusher chrono - it's a "normal" two pusher chronograph with relocated subdials (compared to 7750). I have seen for sale on ebay 7750 based split seconds movements, but they are costly and they are three pusher variants usually (and have subdials in stock locations).
And, as much as I know, 7753 is not GMT, so no 24h hand. 7754 has the GMT hand, but it has the usual location of the subdials.
Basically, even if you decide to forego split seconds functionality and stay with simple chrono, Your first challenge is finding a movement with both 24h indication and subdials at 3 and 9... from the top of my head I can't think of one that would be at least somewhat affordable.

And one more thing - Universal Geneve in the pictures is not monopusher either, it's a two pusher watch, - look closely at the crown ;)
Ah yes, the crown pusher... you little sneaky bastard...

Looks like i will be on the hunt for a 24h and 3 9 subdials movement then.. at least until I find another solution.

Thanks!