(NSFW) Chinese Watch Review - What a $100 Parnis gets you

Affordable and covetable watches from China
Rotorua
Centurion
Centurion

Re: (NSFW) Chinese Watch Review - What a $100 Parnis gets you

Post by Rotorua »

[mention]Tanukjaju[/mention], I followed your advice from a few posts ago, and the P*nis went through the first round of modifications.
The goal was to see what techniques I can use, what I still need to learn, etc. I was not overly concerned with subtle aging, instead I wanted to see where it goes.
Still working on the case and I have a few ideas about the movement. What I did do is to polish the brushed case, then beat the crap out of it, then polished it again. Softened almost all edges as they were sharper than your mother-in-laws teeth. Not easy to polish a brushed case. I aged the dial and hands, and added some detail with acrylic paint and weathering dry paint. Replaced both crystals with Sternkreuz HW, aged the top crystal. Need to polish it still to make the crazes more subtle, and I also need to find a better way to craze the crystal. Overall, it still needs a lot of detail work, but for now it's ok.

... what I realized needs most work though: my watch photography skills. Lazily pointing the iphone at it does not a good picture make.
"Morituri te salutant" Gladiators
"Morituri Nolumus Mori" Smart Gladiators
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Looks like a 50-60 year old watch that had been well used. I like what you did there. My first attempt wasn’t half as good...

Nicely done IMO.
:shifty:

macosie
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by macosie »

Thinking my pilot needs plexi now...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

toofsy
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by toofsy »

macosie wrote: October 4th, 2018, 8:44 am Thinking my pilot needs plexi now...

me too...
IconRays - aNYstrap - Ateliers d'Embellie
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

macosie wrote: August 20th, 2018, 10:28 pm
Rotorua wrote:Obvious connotations aside, you my friend apparently have quite a few P*nises to be proud of. Great builds, and now that you posted the picture, I realized that I read your build thread over on the old HF. Congratulations, what a great job. I am starting out pretty much the same way, but I'm already planning two, as you so aptly named them, pamhoms.
Thanks Rotorua. I like the Parnis stuff. It is fun to build and comfortable to wear. Since I have no intention of building a historically accurate watch, the P*rnis/cartel parts do me fine.

Here is my new favourite:
Parnis Florence rose gold case w/ blackened engravings. It's a really close copy of the Panerai Firenze. I bought the r/g because I don't believe Panerai Ctually makes one.
Asian 6497
Asian r/g hands(for 47mm)
River T/O dial relumed by Mykeos (I saw another T/O dial on th e bay and I kinda wish I got it too. Love the HF logo. )

This is my first 47mm Parnis and I'm loving the size and wearability. It's temporarily on a Vesire strap, but it's not quite the look I want. I have a black 26mm on the way, though I could be tempted by a nice tan with black stitch. This strap is being saved for another project.

What I don't like... this one will fight with my Portuguese homage for wrist time.
ImageImageImageImageImage

I like this case a lot, where can it be found?
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Rotorua wrote: September 24th, 2018, 12:42 pm @Tanukjaju, I followed your advice from a few posts ago, and the P*nis went through the first round of modifications.
The goal was to see what techniques I can use, what I still need to learn, etc. I was not overly concerned with subtle aging, instead I wanted to see where it goes.
Still working on the case and I have a few ideas about the movement. What I did do is to polish the brushed case, then beat the crap out of it, then polished it again. Softened almost all edges as they were sharper than your mother-in-laws teeth. Not easy to polish a brushed case. I aged the dial and hands, and added some detail with acrylic paint and weathering dry paint. Replaced both crystals with Sternkreuz HW, aged the top crystal. Need to polish it still to make the crazes more subtle, and I also need to find a better way to craze the crystal. Overall, it still needs a lot of detail work, but for now it's ok.

... what I realized needs most work though: my watch photography skills. Lazily pointing the iphone at it does not a good picture make.
Oh dear, from being new and to look like a 60-70 year old watch in no time at all...
macosie
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by macosie »

Yoda wrote: October 4th, 2018, 10:24 am
macosie wrote: August 20th, 2018, 10:28 pm
Rotorua wrote:Obvious connotations aside, you my friend apparently have quite a few P*nises to be proud of. Great builds, and now that you posted the picture, I realized that I read your build thread over on the old HF. Congratulations, what a great job. I am starting out pretty much the same way, but I'm already planning two, as you so aptly named them, pamhoms.
Here is my new favourite:
Parnis Florence rose gold case w/ blackened engravings. It's a really close copy of the Panerai Firenze.
This is my first 47mm Parnis and I'm loving the size and wearability. It's temporarily on a Vesire strap, but it's not quite the look I want. I have a black 26mm on the way, though I could be tempted by a nice tan with black stitch. This strap is being saved for another project.

What I don't like... this one will fight with my Portuguese homage for wrist time.

I like this case a lot, where can it be found?
It was an ebay find. Usually around $70-80
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

I will have to look out for one then. Search criteria?
mykeos
VIP
VIP

Post by mykeos »

Yoda wrote: October 4th, 2018, 4:34 pm I will have to look out for one then. Search criteria?
I've managed to find the ss version;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/47mm-parnis-Ca ... Sw2KRbnmpA
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

That's also nice, thanks a lot!