VIP
VIP

Re: Aidis - Luminox homages with tritium tubes - 30$

Post by thelonedoc »

jbglock wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:18 pm
thelonedoc wrote:
Emilio wrote: June 14th, 2020, 8:41 am @thelonedoc @Tanukjaju

It's just a case of bad translation.

You can check the real pictures of the verified buyers.

And there are some videos talking about these watches on YouTube too.
If they are actually tritium tubes it is worth buying these watches just to harvest the tubes for a project.

I was also intrigued as to whether quartz tubes might actually besome type of alternative to tritium. Is it possible that this is another technology that produces the same effect? If so I imagine that it could possibly be superior and not suffer the 25 year half life of tritium tubes.
25 years? My experience is way less than 1/5. Great price though!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
From what I understand, the way it works with a 25 year half life, is that after 12.5 years the tubes are half as bright as they were new. After 6.25 more years they will again be half as bright as they were after 12.5 years. And so on. So they start to get pretty dim pretty fast after the first 12 years.

Edit*

I looked it up, and I was partly right and partly wrong.

The useful life of the tubes is around 25 years and the half life is 12.5

I had the concept right, but the terminology wrong.
thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

Post by thelonedoc »

I just can't wait for a technology that is as spectacular as new tritium tubes that never fades so that I can upgrade all my watches.

:)
binbin
VIP
VIP

Post by binbin »

"Top-Speed light absorbing luminous tube??" Is that tritium. lol

My guess is these are the lowest quality tubes you can buy, maybe expired tubes? I would like to think not, but like Tan mentioned you can not buy the individual tubes for that price. I'm tempted to purchase one just to see for my self. Strip the tubes out of it.
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

binbin wrote: June 14th, 2020, 3:53 pm "Top-Speed light absorbing luminous tube??" Is that tritium. lol

My guess is these are the lowest quality tubes you can buy, maybe expired tubes? I would like to think not, but like Tan mentioned you can not buy the individual tubes for that price. I'm tempted to purchase one just to see for my self. Strip the tubes out of it.
I’m sure you’ve thrown $25 at things like drill bits.

I’ve owned 10+ year old tritium tube watches and they are still adequate. I would be tempted to play with these too.
:shifty:

binbin
VIP
VIP

Post by binbin »

I wish it was only $25.00 for those bits. :)

Tanukjaju wrote: June 14th, 2020, 4:02 pm
binbin wrote: June 14th, 2020, 3:53 pm "Top-Speed light absorbing luminous tube??" Is that tritium. lol

I’m sure you’ve thrown $25 at things like drill bits.

I’ve owned 10+ year old tritium tube watches and they are still adequate. I would be tempted to play with these top.
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

binbin wrote:"Top-Speed light absorbing luminous tube??" Is that tritium. lol

If you examine the verified buyers pictures, the blue tubes are less bright than the green ones.
sully008
VIP
VIP

Post by sully008 »

I just bought one of these for fun. Maybe it'll be a good beater watch. If it dies, I guess I could try and do something with the tubes. We'll see what shows up.
-Mike
"A common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Unknown
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

sully008 wrote: June 19th, 2020, 10:30 am I just bought one of these for fun. Maybe it'll be a good beater watch. If it dies, I guess I could try and do something with the tubes. We'll see what shows up.
That's the spirit!

Post a review if you find the time :thumbup:
sully008
VIP
VIP

Post by sully008 »

Sure thing. I'm sure it'll take awhile to get here, but I have a Deep Blue Day/Night and a type 3 field watch, both with tritium to compare it to.
-Mike
"A common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Unknown
sully008
VIP
VIP

Post by sully008 »

Well, this watch actually showed up a few weeks ago. Doesn't have a screw down crown. The tubes appears to be tritium, similar in brightness to my t25 field watch, but not as bright as the t100 Deep Blue Day/Night watch. In daylight they appear almost gray in colour. I'll try and get some comparison pics later this week.
-Mike