Movement ID Help Needed

Vintage pieces, golden era of USA pocket watches, etc
jbglock
Centurion
Centurion

Movement ID Help Needed

Post by jbglock »

I look on Ebay occasionally for budget or interesting pocket watches with the Unitas 6498 movement to convert into wrist watches such as this one I recently finished.
ImageImage

I look for that specifically because cases with sapphire crystals are so easily sourced. Occasionally I will see a watch like this...
Only to see an image of the movement that looks like this...
So my questions are...
1. What movement is this?
2. Is it considered as durable as the ETA/Unitas 6498?
3. Same stem as a 6498?
4. Can it be used in place of the 6498 as long as I retain the plastic spacer ring?

I am guessing the answers to questions 2-4 are yes and this movement is something developed as a cheaper alternative. I figured someone here would probably know for sure though.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited by jbglock on May 29th, 2020, 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spade_lt
VIP
VIP

Re: Movement ID Help Needed

Post by spade_lt »

1. Something from UT63XX family, maybe 6378? http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... nitas_6376
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. Yes and no. Hand size is different, center to seconds distance is different... but adjusting for that, it could probably be used.
jbglock
Centurion
Centurion

Re: Movement ID Help Needed

Post by jbglock »

spade_lt wrote:1. Something from UT63XX family, maybe 6378? http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... nitas_6376
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. Yes and no. Hand size is different, center to seconds distance is different... but adjusting for that, it could probably be used.
Thanks for the reply and especially that link. I would have bet money they would use the same stem. Also suprising is the movement height difference. I may get one eventually just to see if I could make the conversion work but knowing these things I won't make the mistake of spending too much for what will be an experiment.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk