Let's do something exciting... Start a HF project?

Just joined? Tell us about yourself

Please select one

Eterna-matic kontiki super idf
7%
Longines hydrographic survey
1%
r0lex deep sea special
9%
Something unique with tritium tubes (and modern stuff)
4%
Longines or Eterna Czech Air Force watch
4%
62mas
1%
Seamaster
9%
Fifty fathoms
19%
"Modern" 3 piece style (like a modern 3646)
16%
Rolex Zerograph
27%

Total votes: 67

Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Re: Let's do something exciting... Start a HF project?

Post by Emilio »

Phaedros wrote:
Emilio wrote: February 27th, 2021, 2:24 pm
Phaedros wrote: February 27th, 2021, 12:54 pm
I know my way around Inkscape pretty well and draw all my vector based stuff there, so I kept Fusion for the technical stuff. Fusionn is so powerful... I found the „repeat on a circle“ and the „cut one shape with the other“ options to be extremely useful.
I‘ll look into tracing bitmaps in Fusion as well... right now my brain hurts :crazy:

On the Tudor replica: if you had access to a lathe to turn down the original bezel to an outside diameter of 38mm and a height of 2,5mm you could use my file instantly. There’s no soldering involved, it is held by set screws. I haven’t included holes for those yet, because I am not entirely sure how many the original had.
I think I know someone who can turn it for me. I will contact you in the near future :!:
Great news! Double check the measurements in my file though please - I just remebered I made the inner diameter of the bezel to fit the SKX crystal - this might not work with your Tudor.
Sorry, I don't see the file
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Emilio wrote: February 27th, 2021, 3:13 pm
Phaedros wrote:
Emilio wrote: February 27th, 2021, 2:24 pm

I think I know someone who can turn it for me. I will contact you in the near future :!:
Great news! Double check the measurements in my file though please - I just remebered I made the inner diameter of the bezel to fit the SKX crystal - this might not work with your Tudor.
Sorry, I don't see the file
PM sent... somehow my earlier message went into oblivion.
„I asked her for gasoline, she gave me water...“

Me, side of the road, pushing my bike.
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

This shapeways thing is taking ages... I am biting my nails

Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Weeee

The crystal arrived yesterday.

Might get something done next week :mrgreen:

Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Good news, bad news...

The Skegi bezel prototypes have arrived.

Looks like quality control has let one slip... I already am in touch with shapeways for a reprint. What you can see ist that the surface needs some serious refinishing. The pilot holes for drilling to set the bronze nubbins came out great though.

More important is the size, the metal print is a whole millimeter smaller in diameter than the high detail plastic print, resulting in a quirky look and feel. I asked [mention]Emilio[/mention] to size the bezel so the knurling would stick out over the case, giving it a very rugged look, this worked out well in plastic, so my measurements and Emilios drawing were spot on - not so much in metal:

The look of the plastic version though :mrgreen: Mind, the top hat crystal hasn’t been installed yet...

To get to a smooth surface finish on the lathe and retain the dimensions of the original design, I‘ll have to account for the shrinkage and maybe the number of teeth on the outside perimeter will have to be reduced.

Well, thats one for the team... let’s see how shapeways handle this.

VanSong
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by VanSong »

Phaedros wrote:Good news, bad news...

Looks like quality control has let one slip... I already am in touch with shapeways for a reprint. What you can see ist that the surface needs some serious refinishing. The pilot holes for drilling to set the bronze nubbins came out great though.

More important is the size, the metal print is a whole millimeter smaller in diameter than the high detail plastic print, resulting in a quirky look and feel. I asked [mention]Emilio[/mention] to size the bezel so the knurling would stick out over the case, giving it a very rugged look, this worked out well in plastic, so my measurements and Emilios drawing were spot on - not so much in metal:

The look of the plastic version though :mrgreen: Mind, the top hat crystal hasn’t been installed yet...

To get to a smooth surface finish on the lathe and retain the dimensions of the original design, I‘ll have to account for the shrinkage and maybe the number of teeth on the outside perimeter will have to be reduced.

Anyway, it is a good start imho! [emoji6][emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

VanSong wrote:
Phaedros wrote:Good news, bad news...

Anyway, it is a good start imho! [emoji6][emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing your experience with us
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

[mention]VanSong[/mention] I think so too, the prints do need to be finished extensively though. I‘ll get a quote for cnc machining...

[mention]Emilio[/mention] This really is fun and a great place to be, just because so many here are willing to share... I have to say thanks!

Shapeways replied to my (really) friendly request of a reprint pretty fast, somewhere along the lines of „d‘oh bro this is the way it‘s done here, we can’t help you“ - I got pissed pretty hard and replied as such. We’ll see how this goes.

Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Just a small update... it seems that pissed-me is way more convincing than friendly-me. Shapeways agreed to refund, I‘ll reprint to greater dimensions and not use the bronze infiltration process to avoid badly ground sprues. Yay :mrgreen:

calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by calvinktlim »

Phaedros wrote:Just a small update... it seems that pissed-me is way more convincing than friendly-me. Shapeways agreed to refund, I‘ll reprint to greater dimensions and not use the bronze infiltration process to avoid badly ground sprues. Yay :mrgreen:
Yay for pissed me :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk