Post pictures of your pocket watches

Vintage pieces, golden era of USA pocket watches, etc
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Re: Post pictures of your pocket watches

Post by TimemiT »

:lol: damn ... I knew I should have proofread my post before I started clacking away at the keyboard ....

that Sangamo is a big movement ... so definitely disregard

Then, is it safe to say that a 10s is the largest pocket watch movement that could be fitted into a wrist watch case? (all other things falling into place) ... or can 12s fit?
unreformed66 wrote: September 18th, 2019, 7:01 pm
TimemiT wrote: September 18th, 2019, 1:19 pm these Hamiltons and the Illinois movements are really nice ... the finish on them would be big money in today's time.

The Illinois are larger ... I believe they start at 12s ligne which is 39.79mm ... which can still drop into a nice case

Hamiltons and Corteberts I believe are 10s ligne which is 38.09mm ... so it is more or less adaptable to a case set that is made to fit a Cort 616 ... most of the case sets that we deal with in our Homage universe

The history of trains and these pocket watches are intertwined ... and so is the expansion of Europe! I remember standing in the train station in Amsterdam ... and saying to myself ... "Holy Crap!!!" ... Paris as well!! ... but I digress :D

Here's a couple of those Illinois type 12s movements, 1927 .. 19 and 21 jewels
s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg
I hate to break it to you but that Sangamo is a 16 size and what Illinois called a "Getty Model" movement. And lignes and American pocket watch sizes are not used interchangably. American sizes are based on Lancashire gauge (English measurement). Lignes are just that, lignes. An antiquated French system of measurement. So it's either "10 size" OR "17 lignes" or whatever. Not both. 10 size and 17 ligne are very similar in diameter but they're not the same. And thus endeth the lesson.... :mrgreen:
Alpacalypse Now
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

TimemiT wrote: September 18th, 2019, 9:21 pm :lol: damn ... I knew I should have proofread my post before I started clacking away at the keyboard ....

Then, is it safe to say that a 10s is the largest pocket watch movement that could be fitted into a wrist watch case? (all other things falling into place) ... or can 12s fit?
TimemiT wrote: September 18th, 2019, 1:19 pm these Hamiltons and the Illinois movements are really nice ... the finish on them would be big money in today's time.

The Illinois are larger ... I believe they start at 12s ligne which is 39.79mm ... which can still drop into a nice case

Hamiltons and Corteberts I believe are 10s ligne which is 38.09mm ... so it is more or less adaptable to a case set that is made to fit a Cort 616 ... most of the case sets that we deal with in our Homage universe

The history of trains and these pocket watches are intertwined ... and so is the expansion of Europe! I remember standing in the train station in Amsterdam ... and saying to myself ... "Holy Crap!!!" ... Paris as well!! ... but I digress :D

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg
I hate to break it to you but that Sangamo is a 16 size and what Illinois called a "Getty Model" movement. And lignes and American pocket watch sizes are not used interchangably. American sizes are based on Lancashire gauge (English measurement). Lignes are just that, lignes. An antiquated French system of measurement. So it's either "10 size" OR "17 lignes" or whatever. Not both. 10 size and 17 ligne are very similar in diameter but they're not the same. And thus endeth the lesson.... :mrgreen:
I've built a couple with 12 size movements. The big problem is that American movements are for the most part negative setting which means you have to adapt a sleeve and stem to the case.
tafari
VIP
VIP

Post by tafari »

unreformed66 wrote:
TimemiT wrote: September 18th, 2019, 9:21 pm :lol: damn ... I knew I should have proofread my post before I started clacking away at the keyboard ....

I've built a couple with 12 size movements. The big problem is that American movements are for the most part negative setting which means you have to adapt a sleeve and stem to the case.
very nice builds and beautyful movements +1
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg
The E. Howard's are good too, stem set and just a wee larger than the 10 sized.
IIRC the Howard is in between the 10 and 12 size, Unreformed66 know that better than me.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

"Negative setting!" ... You see, never too old to learn!! I watched a video on that, some lady explaining how to open up and set those Illinois pocket watches.

So to pop inside a wrist watch case ... a stem/sleeve/crown has to be adapted so the movement winds and sets time like normal?

I assume then for ease of fitting and function ... Corteberts and Hamilton types adapt easily to wrist watch cases? and of course size plays a factor ... many of those railroad watches are large?
Alpacalypse Now
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

TimemiT wrote: September 19th, 2019, 9:26 am "Negative setting!" ... You see, never too old to learn!! I watched a video on that, some lady explaining how to open up and set those Illinois pocket watches.

So to pop inside a wrist watch case ... a stem/sleeve/crown has to be adapted so the movement winds and sets time like normal?

I assume then for ease of fitting and function ... Corteberts and Hamilton types adapt easily to wrist watch cases? and of course size plays a factor ... many of those railroad watches are large?
Yes, the sleeve is there to keep the movement/stem in the winding mode, when pulled you are in the setting mode. There is a spring inside the movement to make it pop out to the setting mode if the sleeve is not there. On the negative setting movements you will see two blue screws, the one far away from the stem can be turned and that way keep the movement in the winding mode, made to make life easier for a watchmaker when the movement is out of the case.
IIRC the sleeve has to be fitted "backwards" in the case tube to work with the stem. The stem has a spot where it slides in and out of the sleeve, so the stem has to be FOR the movement to work.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

Elgin 479

djolemag
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by djolemag »