Meaningless guarantees.... used market watch prices...

General watch-related discussion
Bigscg
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Meaningless guarantees.... used market watch prices...

Post by Bigscg »

Piloten wrote:Exactly what happened to me with my Oris. Meaningless guarantee, if the goddamn thing has to go to Switzerland
Similar experience with ORIS. Really sucks that you have to send it back in to the mfg b/c a watch smith can’t order parts. Many times it’s more expensive to fix the watch than it is to just buy another second hand watch of the same model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

I guess I have been lucky. None of the watches I ever bought in working order have broken down on me. Now, the ones I built are a different story :eh:
However, It has happened that I bought a watch that was supposed to be in good working order but I received it broken. I was glad I bought it through a reputable site and was able to return it and get my money back. Another time, I bought a brand new Steinhart and the chapter ring was slightly misaligned but I decided to live with it.
blueradish
Sponsor
Sponsor

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by blueradish »

I have a look around the web to see what previous watches have sold for, then go up and down from there. I put no value on warranty, probably because I have never had an issue, but also because I think it would be a big PITA to send back. I put most value in cosmetic condition and the seller. I really don't want to get ripped off.
Click the banner below to go to my Strap Gallery

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps
vavavoom
Centurion
Centurion

Post by vavavoom »

I typically try to avoid buying first hand because I often find they are overpriced. Typically used watches in good condition are my go to, and if they need servicing after a while, I'll just do that. That being said, I currently only own seiko watches and ETA watches. So servicing and parts availability is not the biggest issue.

Not too concerned about warranty either, since my watch guy offers a year of warranty post-service.