Wuhan Virus . . . Watch QC Issues? Really?

General watch-related discussion
Piloten
VIP
VIP

Wuhan Virus . . . Watch QC Issues? Really?

Post by Piloten »

So, I have had a strange kind of year and I know I'm not alone.

However, this I wasn't expecting. Having gone on a bit of a spree, I wound up with a handful of mid range gens:

Ball Engineer Moonphase

Ball Explorer

Hamilton Converter GMT

I didn't really pay a lot of attention for a couple of reasons but, all of them were stiff hand winders and two of them were tough to get to the first click. I finally had the one open caseback in view when I turned the crown and to my horror (not exactly a DH Gate special, after all), the rotor spun when I turned the crown. So I put my ear up to the casebacks of the others and heard the same spinning rotor.

All three of them, sticking reverse wheels. All three of them, badly or not at all oiled out of the factory.

I just.

Yeah.

I don't have these problems with the microbrands of the year. Aragon, awesome. Ianos, just mwaa!

Sigh
Piloten
VIP
VIP

Re: Wuhan Virus . . . Watch QC Issues? Really?

Post by Piloten »

Reply from Hamilton (paraphrased)

"OH MY GOD. WE ARE SO SORRY. A MAILING LABEL IS ON THE WAY IF YOU CAN SEND IT TO TORONTO, WE WILL FIX IT."

Reply from Ball (paraphrased)

"Yeah, so what, shit happens. If you send it to us at your expense, we will see if you're lying."
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Aaahh, quality control! I wonder if they pick the applicants for these jobs from the trash bin sometimes...

Just a couple of days ago I had a nice talk with a german official, head of justice department for parental leave and payments. After basically accusing me of fraud, she said: „I can totally understand you’re angry sir, but that’s how we roll. You could sue, I‘m only two years from retirement - I won’t see the verdict“ - made my day.
„I asked her for gasoline, she gave me water...“

Me, side of the road, pushing my bike.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Oh my God, someone at Ball could benefit from a course in good customer service.....
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

Not good.
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by Thrasher »

I have had more than a fen genuine quality watches with spinning rotors and I think they all had a 2824 or modified 2824 as the foundation. Most recently and this is just the tip of the iceberg, New Oris Divers 65 spun and then the whole movement locked up. Hamilton Murph spinning and clicking crown both went back under warranty as these problems occur in first 3 months of ownership.
P4GTR
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by P4GTR »

Yoda wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:56 pm Oh my God, someone at Ball could benefit from a course in good customer service.....
Add Breitling to that list.
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

Yeah. I love Ball watches and own several. That being said from what I've heard about their customer service I'm damn glad that I'm a watchmaker. I don't have any first hand experience with them obviously but I hear complaints fairly often. They still tout it as an American brand but it's made in Switzerland and owned by Asia Commercial Holdings from Hong Kong. :think:
Piloten
VIP
VIP

Post by Piloten »

Phaedros wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:55 pm Aaahh, quality control! I wonder if they pick the applicants for these jobs from the trash bin sometimes...

Just a couple of days ago I had a nice talk with a german official, head of justice department for parental leave and payments. After basically accusing me of fraud, she said: „I can totally understand you’re angry sir, but that’s how we roll. You could sue, I‘m only two years from retirement - I won’t see the verdict“ - made my day.
You have fucking got to be kidding me. I mean, I know you're not but...words fail me. The phrase "this conversation is being recorded" often has salubrious effects on the conversation with departments.
Phaedros
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Phaedros »

Piloten wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:06 am
Phaedros wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:55 pm Aaahh, quality control! I wonder if they pick the applicants for these jobs from the trash bin sometimes...

You have fucking got to be kidding me. I mean, I know you're not but...words fail me. The phrase "this conversation is being recorded" often has salubrious effects on the conversation with departments.
I‘ll have to remember this, the next time I call one of these imbeciles. Might make them swallow some of their bull.
It’s a long, tedious story, propably not belonging here... Basically they‘re saying I can’t take care of my baby-daughter like my wife, so they‘ll automatically deduct five months of parental leave. They also alleged, I practically wanted to fraud them, because based on my income the payments are higher than my wife’s would have been - who they know was in hospital the whole time fighting for her life. I filed suit yesterday.
„I asked her for gasoline, she gave me water...“

Me, side of the road, pushing my bike.