The 6497 6498 information thread

Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

The 6497 6498 information thread

Post by Tanukjaju »

I’ve started looking at doing some builds using these and realized that the 6497/6498 thread(s) from the old forum didn’t seem to have made it over - at least not by my search. I’m going to put my opinions (I’m sure our resident watchmakers will have comments and please feel free to correct me) here. Please feel free to add your opinions and or pics to this thread.

I love these for their ease of servicing and their durability. These are great movements to learn how to clean and oil a watch movement.

UNITAS 649x

I have seen early Unitas 6497, 6498 movements in 15 jewel and more commonly 17 jewel versions. Typically found in pocket watches from the 70s and 80s. These movements can be found in (just to make a few)

Arnex (by far the most common brand)
Nastrix
Aero
Many more

Branded pocket watches. These are typically marked with “17 Jewels Incabloc” on the dial. Most of these vintage movements will benefit from a service and can be found typically in the $50-$100 range (unserviced). IMO, if the working description is accurate, they make great donors for projects. Finishes are typically brushed, or hammered finish in silver, gold, brass finish.

These are 18,000 frequency movements

ASIAN 649x

I don’t have much experience here, as my limited exposure to them early on were more problematic than I was willing to deal with. Back then (I’m not sure about now), it seemed like most came unoiled (so they needed a service anyway) and 10-20% of them seemed to have defects and spare parts were not available. Before our watchmakers appeared and taught us the right way to shorten the seconds pivots, I was guilty of snipping the long seconds pivot and my experience is that the metal is softer that the Swiss versions. How that translates to durability over 10-15 years, I do not know.

Many here prefer these over vintage units, I would say it’s a toss up and depending on your luck and diligence when pulling the trigger.

ETA 649x -1 and -2
-1 variants are 18,000 and -2 variants 21,600. These are my favorite. If new, they seem to come oiled and pretty much ready to drop in for use. If used, these typically are lightly used and housed in modern day cases so less exposure to moisture. Undecorated Silver finished new units used to be $120 on eBay but a quick search puts them closer to $200 now after shipping etc. Decorated finished can push the prices north of $500. High beat -2 versions typically start north of $400. There are many modified variations out there, including central seconds, different bridge designs, power reserve and even chronograph modifications.
:shifty:

thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

Re: The 6497 6498 information thread

Post by thelonedoc »

Great read!

I have one asian 6497 in my daily beater cali and it is an absolute workhorse... I have never had any problems with it and I don't think I have been particularly kind to it or careful when handling it. At around $50 for a replacement they are essentially throw away movements.

That being said, because I have ambitions to advance my skills in watchmaking I plan to become proficient in servicing my own swiss 6497s and potentially even try and learn to make replacement parts on my lathe one day.

Personally I think that these movements are a surefire bet whenever building a homage watch with a closed caseback. Display caseback homage builds need a little more authenticity in my opinion but to each their own!
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

They may be marked Baylor and Cortebert in addition to the above mentioned. I have seen these movements marked Omega as well.

I think pulling the trigger is safe in any case, parts are readily available and they are easy to service and repair.

It's worth noting that the 6497 has the seconds hand at 9 o'clock when the stem is at 3 o'clock and the 6498 has the seconds hand at 6 o'clock when the stem is at 3 o'clock.

Good post Tanukjaju!
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
nje2791
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by nje2791 »

As someone reasonably new to this site (and having recently found myself on the winning bid for what appears to be a nice unitas 6497), this is very helpful info.
tafari
VIP
VIP

Post by tafari »

I like working with this eta 6497/98. as mentioned already it is easy to service, parts a good available and there are nice different designs of the movement on the market for good prices
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

[mention]nje2791[/mention] , please share your find /pics later.

Here is a link too on how to shorten the 4th(?) wheel seconds pivot

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1874

[mention]thelonedoc[/mention] , you could build a Brooklyn Bridge Boutique with a $200 ETA 6497-1 and have an accurate copy :think:
:shifty:

Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

Tanukjaju wrote: January 9th, 2020, 9:13 am
@thelonedoc , you could build a Brooklyn Bridge Boutique with a $200 ETA 6497-1 and have an accurate copy :think:
This is true!
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

ETA 6497-2 has been Panerai's bread and butter base movement for their Pre-V, Pre-A and majority of their manual wind line ... up until they released their in-house movements.

6497-2 is the high beat ... easily noticeable (when you get use to seeing them) the center gear has many more teeth

lots of the manual wind Panerai replicas use the Asian 6497-2 hight beat (Seagull I think makes them) ... great quality, and as good as ETA ... except many require a proper overhaul and oiling
Alpacalypse Now
bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by bmsm »

Does anyone knows the gear specifications for the 6497 second wheel?

Number of teeth (this I can count but there's a document would be better)
Pitch diameter
Diametral pitch
Pressure Angle
atkin68
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by atkin68 »

@Yoda @unreformed66 @djolemag :

Will a complete balance with a smooth wheel from a newer Unitas 6497 potentially swap into an older Unitas 285 with a wheel that has bolts? The 285 is, I think, 7 jewels. 17 for the 6497.

Is it worth trying with caution, or are they known to be incompatible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk