Strap, buckle, and box making, reviews, and more
rustyscoot
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Advice please in strap lengths.

Post by rustyscoot »

Hey!

I’m looking for some advice please. I’m getting pretty decent at making leather straps and have bought a full side of premium distressed waxed hide but I have a little issue in understanding how long to make them on account of my unusually large wrist fogging my acceptance that I’m not normal! and a 100/160 mm strap is going to be better for those who wish to wear their watches around their necks!

I understand that case size plays a part in determining the length so for this enquiry let’s stick with Panerai sized cases circa 50/55 lug to lug.

The one in the photo is a 24/24 and approx 130/80 mm but if you could please spare me a few seconds of your time and jot down your preference it would be of great benefit to me. Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blueradish
Sponsor
Sponsor

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Re: Advice please in strap lengths.

Post by blueradish »

My wrist is 7", I like two sizes depending on the watch style. Vintage I'll go 130/80 as like a little extra tail. However, on a regular everyday watch I prefer a 125/75 with one oversized floating keeper.
Click the banner below to go to my Strap Gallery

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

There is more than one factor to consider when selecting strap length for a particular watch, e.g. thickness of the strap, thickness of the case back and personal preference.

I have a 7" wrist and on my mini fiddy with a thick case back the strap (two keepers, sewn-in buckle) is 125/85 but the long part is honestly a little too short and I wouldn't mind if the strap was 130/85 or 135/80.

On my luminor case, the strap with a single wide keeper and screw-in buckle is 125/80 but 115/75 (with thinner keeper) would work, too; the extra length here is nice if I feel like wearing it extra loose, like on a hot summer day.

If you make a thicker strap, say 6 - 7mm, additional 3 - 5mm on each end might be needed.
rustyscoot
Centurion
Centurion

Frequent Flyer

Post by rustyscoot »

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
blueradish
Sponsor
Sponsor

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by blueradish »

@straps68 laid it out perfectly, so many factors including distance between lugs, to add another. One of the reasons I always have a convo with my customers, prior to starting a strap.
Click the banner below to go to my Strap Gallery

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps
Tom427
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Frequent Flyer

Post by Tom427 »

My wrist, which I consider fairly narrow, is 200 mm. My 3646 straps are 80 mm (without buckle), 120 mm where the holes are.
I have almost 60 mm length left when strapped in, which makes the second loop to hold the strap absolete.