VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Heuer/Monnin Diver Projects

Post by Mir36 »

My post from the old HF resurrected here to hopefully get some of you folks into Heuers :)

A few years ago I went into the rabbit hole of Heuer divers. Growing up in the 80’s, TagHeuer was the first watch I aspired to owning. My dad had a 70’s Rolex GMT, but Rolex was for old folks :). As a teenager, my first rep (knockoff is the more appropriate word) was a cheap Tag SEL. Fast forward a few decades, and for fun I bought an old ‘for repair’ Tag Heuer quartz diver from the bay. I did some research and found the Heuerville blog, and from then, there was no escape. Down the rabbit hole I went.

My first project was an early Heuer 980.005 Orange diver.
Look at the 6 o’clock on the dial. You’ll notice the “Made in France” text. Later Heuer dials were made in Switzerland. The Monnin case was a common third party case used by several dive watch makers during the seventies. It’s now recognized as an iconic design, and old cases that a few years ago fetched less than a hundred dollars, are now much much dearer.

Here’s the donor watch. An old Herma diver I picked up at ChronoTrader from a Danish collector.

Here’s the FE4611 movement. FE stands for France Ebouche if I recall. The movement is correct for the 980.005. The screw I’m pointing at is the screw for releasing the crown.

I took apart the case and bezel assembly for cleaning. I also planned to replace the bezel insert.

I re-did the brushed-steel finish on the top side of the case with the aid of masking tape and a foam file. The brushed finish will contrast nicely with the polished sides of the case.

The refinished and ultra sonic cleaned case parts. I also installed a new insert courtesy of jkbenn, a well known Heuer after market parts supplier. He was a member in the old HF.

New sapphire crystal also courtesy of jkbenn.

My crystal press :)

The awesome dial with “Made in France” text that is the anchor of this build. I bought a few of these from a French dealer on the Bay. He quickly sold out after my original post.

Installed the period correct black handset with tritium which came with the dial.

Cased and on the wrist.

There are still a lot of good deals on the Bay for Heuer and TAG projects. And if you need some parts, check out jkbenn at chronotrader. The old Heuer divers are a great entry point. Before you know it, you’ve slipped deeper to skindivers. Just look at all the re-editions of skindivers coming out. What’s old is new. What’s new is old. Thanks for looking :)
Last edited by Mir36 on September 12th, 2021, 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
My PreVs, PreAs and more: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6554
PreV and PreA cases: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6652
PreV dials: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6651
Ciccio
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Heuer/Monnin 980.005 Orange Diver

Post by Ciccio »

Lovely work! Remember this from the old HF, nice to see it resurrected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Mini Chat Squatter

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Good neighbour

Post by Emilio »

Ciccio wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 10:16 am Lovely work! Remember this from the old HF, nice to see it resurrected!

+99999

Thanks for reposting
sascha12
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Re: Heuer/Monnin Diver Projects

Post by sascha12 »

Super
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Car lover

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Re: Heuer/Monnin Diver Projects

Post by Tanukjaju »

This is a great thread!!
:shifty:

faizanmazhar00
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

Emilio wrote: July 4th, 2021, 5:49 am
Ciccio wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 10:16 am Lovely work! Remember this from the old HF, nice to see it resurrected!

+99999

Thanks for reposting
Okay