Can i dive with an $15 30M cheap Casio ? Interesting read (Link)

Non-homage Dive Watches
Alou
VIP
VIP

Can i dive with an $15 30M cheap Casio ? Interesting read (Link)

Post by Alou »

Here is an interesting test a guy did in another forum :

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/can-i ... 47322.html
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Re: Can i dive with an $15 30M cheap Casio ? Interesting read (Link)

Post by Emilio »

thread moved to Dive Watches because he did it! :D
Alou
VIP
VIP

Post by Alou »

I just found the test interesting,well a professional dive watch,almost all use dive computers these days,is exposed frequently to water and or salts etc ,so the gaskets will need replacement sooner or later.
The interesting for the Casio would be the pressure on the LCD dial, thats what i expected to fail.

A professional divers habit is way different then the occasional diver.

When i did my army service back in the 90's ,in an amphibious operations unit ,all the instructors had Casio and Citizens rated for 200m some 300m.
Who would risk something more expensive on such a daily beating.
We were not issued any watches ,just compasses ,depth gauges and a milspec dive computer made by a swiss company (cant remember the name),these were returned back after service.

Dives were not deeper then 30m because we used close circuit re-breathers (Lar-v) ,
i had a cheap plastic Swatch scuba watch and survived ,diving ,mountain climing, combat exercises,parachuting you name it for 24 months of daily beating. Well it was rated for 200m by swatch but come on i thought it was a joke being all plastic.
Well ok the plexi glass was a mess and the case beat up and scratched but the watch was still functioning and only paid less than 100 euros (of equal value back in 1993).
I am not saying it was dive proof watch but it did serve its purpose as a disposable beater.

I Have a friend who dives with a Citizen for the past ten years ,for speargun fishing every weekend,never had the watch serviced ,well its an analog quartz with a small dive LCD calculator ,but the water tightness is still holding on.
I guess most built materials these days are pretty better in quality an hold on longer.

Deep sea divers and sea welder on the other hand will need max pressure protection ,so better protection.
I think most manufactures now that most of their watches know that their watches will not take such pressures in real life ,
since 99% of the buyers are Desk divers !! Still like mentioned above most material used today even on cheaper watches are of better material.
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

Yoda wrote: March 28th, 2020, 4:17 pm
Alou wrote: March 28th, 2020, 4:03 pm Here is an interesting test a guy did in another forum :

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/can-i ... 47322.html
I assume that some of these specifications are set to a minimum and some do really prove to be a lot better.

For diving as a professional, 300 meters will be a minimum. I have divers running in and out of here every week, replacing gaskets and adding silicone before checking WR. These watches are tools and they rely on my work.
By 30M, do you mean 30 meters or 30 ATM?
My guess is 3 ATM = 30 meters
Alou
VIP
VIP

Post by Alou »

Yes this was the 3 Atm Casio ,i dont thing there is a 300m LCD Casio anyway ,

Being geeky with numbers for fun
1 ATM water pressure is actually 10.3287 meters so 3 ATM's are = 30,9861 ,32 meters almost.

But then again this is leisure dive not a daily diver pro so not so much daily exposure to sea water elements.
Alou
VIP
VIP

Post by Alou »

Yoda wrote: March 28th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Doom slayer on the loose, 30M and 30 ATM is the same thing and I should have refrained from commenting while on medication....damn.
30 ATM is 300 meters guys ! 1 ATM is 10 meters .......am is calculating wrong due to the effects of quarantine confinement :lol:
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

Nah, I was just mentioning what Alou said. This is the low end of the Casio watches!
Alou
VIP
VIP

Post by Alou »

For such a price you can get one for you vacation trip and dispose (not necessary ) afterwards!
Alou
VIP
VIP

Post by Alou »

What us getting worse ?We are not seriously recommending a low end beater as a pro watch......no way!
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

You guys are turning my focus onto casio...
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27