Finally, she is home for good!

Vintage pieces, golden era of USA pocket watches, etc
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Finally, she is home for good!

Post by Yoda »

After all these years, after a miserable life in three different cases...None of those cases were really perfect in my opinion, so I have been wondering, wandering and searching.

I found it recently, the perfect case! No movement tabs needed, front loaded and screw on bezel and case back, polished. No need for shaving the dial and the dial feet matched the movement.

Case back marked Hamilton movement USA, yet another good reason. A light AR coating on the sapphire crystals, perfect for me. Original hands from this movement.

This build has been on my mind on and off for years, I think that I have had this movement for at least ten years.

This Hamilton 923 has had the best treatment the shop can offer, beat error set to zero, adjusted in all positions like the day it left the finishing room 1946.

All stains and unwanted spots have been removed, hours and hours on end during the dark winter months of 2011.

I have bought a few PRC 22mm padded straps in black and brown with white stitching years ago, but I can't seem to find these for sale today. I picked a brown from my stock for now.

My most loved movement of them all.
20190917_141427_resized.jpg
20190917_141332_resized.jpg
20190917_141414_resized.jpg
20190917_141401_resized.jpg
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Akvanautas
VIP
VIP

Re: Finally, she is home for good!

Post by Akvanautas »

awesome movement. i do remember when we talked a little about it maybe 3 or 4 years ago and i know you had it just damn..so long for looking case for it!
but case is very similar to Tourby, is it one of his?. i had it once ..same movement load as you described.
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

Movement is mesmerising- super build
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
leeyewfei
VIP
VIP

Post by leeyewfei »

excellent movement.
Lee, Singapore
Avid watch collector - I'm always buying time!
ANGELUS Hoarder!!!!!!! Hahahaha
Mike777
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by Mike777 »

That’s a great combination of dial, case, and movement.
mykeos
VIP
VIP

Post by mykeos »

Great build, a perfect dress watch, imo! And the movement is just phenomenal, hands down!
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Akvanautas wrote: September 17th, 2019, 7:45 am awesome movement. i do remember when we talked a little about it maybe 3 or 4 years ago and i know you had it just damn..so long for looking case for it!
but case is very similar to Tourby, is it one of his?. i had it once ..same movement load as you described.
I don't know for sure, it came from the same maker RGM used in the early days.
Easiest thing to handle, no movement ring and no hassle.
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

Let's revive some Hamilton love around here! Do we have a thread for this?

I was going to ask about those hands!! Wow. They are original to the movement? Did you blue them? ... so nice!

I believe Tourby was selling similar case set at one time (asking a pretty penny) .. whether they were his or sourced from Asia? Then it seems those case sets came out.

Helenarou has a vast selection of parts for hammys! Although, I think she is probably sold out of those front loading versions?? She does offer Sapphire crystal option for an extra $40.
https://www.helenarou.com/hamilton.html

How is the servicing and running of these movements ... compare to say the Corteberts?
Alpacalypse Now
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

I don't want to sound excessive but that's pretty much a perfect watch for a 1-watch collection.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

TimemiT wrote: September 17th, 2019, 9:27 am Let's revive some Hamilton love around here! Do we have a thread for this?

I was going to ask about those hands!! Wow. They are original to the movement? Did you blue them? ... so nice!

I believe Tourby was selling similar case set at one time (asking a pretty penny) .. whether they were his or sourced from Asia? Then it seems those case sets came out.

Helenarou has a vast selection of parts for hammys! Although, I think she is probably sold out of those front loading versions?? She does offer Sapphire crystal option for an extra $40.
https://www.helenarou.com/hamilton.html

How is the servicing and running of these movements ... compare to say the Corteberts?
Yes, the hands are original and came with this movement. I haven't touched them.

This case was made in either Switzerland or Germany, not in Asia.

Yes, Helenarou offers a good selection of parts for Hamilton 10 size movements, but the hands are painted and not blued.

Service is a walk in the park, running is a watchmaker's wet dream. COSC is a laugh compared to this when properly serviced and adjusted, I haven't had to set the time for a month with this, but again, I have adjusted the movement to fit my daily wear routine.

My personal opinion is that these were the peak of American made movements and the attention to detail is exquisite, there is no part left untouched, polished, plated, massive gold, high end material and craftsmanship.