Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Vintage pieces, golden era of USA pocket watches, etc
Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Thrasher »

So as I continue my journey into the pocket watch world I bought a couple books.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07198 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15498 ... UTF8&psc=1
They have been a bit educational and enlightening, I feel like I did pretty good on these first two watches but we will see what Dave has to say as they are in his workshop right now. The more i look around the less I see anything that really jumps out at me, I would like a nice Waltham but so far no amazed
Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by Thrasher »

These Pocket watch sellers on eBay know absolutely nothing about what they are selling! Either that or they dont want to tell you what the movement is doing. A good description is "IT RUNS" I think they just run around to estate sales and get these watches cheap and then try and flip em for a little profit. I think I did run across one seller that serviced the movement.
Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by Thrasher »

I just picked this up on the Bay, if its not keeping good time I'm sure [mention]unreformed66[/mention] will want to look at it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223602474316
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

Nice score. Every pocket watch collector needs an indicator or two in his collection!
Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by Thrasher »

[mention]unreformed66[/mention] It arrived and is really nice, winds well power indicator works , Timegraph reports -120 S/D , 196 amplitude, 3.2 ms beat error , 18,000 vph lift set at 40. I think once you finish the two you have now I will send you this one to work your magic, when you give the green light of course. This one looks really nice though it has a plastic crystal which is not a big deal unless you have NOS glass laying around? The power indicator confused me for a second then I guessed it was saying how long the watch had run for assuming it has a power reserve of 40 hours? The " UP & DW" I will find out what that means. Thanks in Advance...One of these days I will send you that 3135 to look at.

Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by Thrasher »

unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

Yes, you'll probably want to send that one over at some point. Losing 120 seconds a day is awful and indicates that there's far more wrong than just needing a service, I'd just about guess that there's either hairspring rust or somebody mixed and matched balance parts at some point.
Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by Thrasher »

As soon as u get those two you have up to your usual awesome high standard I will send over the Elgin.
I also just got this Benrus 3061 BULLITT with hacking DR2F3 movement which is off by + 62 S/D , AMP 244 and beat error .2 ms....I dont know the lift angle so those readings are at 52..... You can look at that to if you think you can improve it.

What was the lift angle range for an America 1900 to 1920 Railroad grade lever set pocket watch again? Roughly?

Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Thrasher wrote: August 15th, 2019, 7:32 pm As soon as u get those two you have up to your usual awesome high standard I will send over the Elgin.
I also just got this Benrus 3061 BULLITT with hacking DR2F3 movement which is off by + 62 S/D , AMP 244 and beat error .2 ms....I dont know the lift angle so those readings are at 52..... You can look at that to if you think you can improve it.

What was the lift angle range for an America 1900 to 1920 Railroad grade lever set pocket watch again? Roughly?

2 beautiful pieces! I’m retired from the railroad and have been meaning to make myself a railroad timepiece inspired watch.
:shifty:

Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by Thrasher »

Tanukjaju wrote: August 15th, 2019, 8:10 pm
Thrasher wrote: August 15th, 2019, 7:32 pm As soon as u get those two you have up to your usual awesome high standard I will send over the Elgin.

2 beautiful pieces! I’m retired from the railroad and have been meaning to make myself a railroad timepiece inspired watch.
I'm retired as well and I have amassed a pretty cool collection of Genuines, Replicas, Fantasy, Homage, Franken and now Railroad Grade pocket watches. They are very affordable , Genuine and a piece of History worth remembering and preserving. I was once a bit of a motorcycle fanatic so as that collection gets sold off this collection grows....Wrist Watches and other timepieces take up a lot less room and dont require so much maintenance.

Really enjoyed watching you in Hogan's heroes Sgt Schultz :D