Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Vintage pieces, golden era of USA pocket watches, etc
User avatar
Thrasher
Tinkerer
Posts: 188
Joined: March 9th, 2019, 11:54 am
Reputation: 0

Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Thrasher » July 9th, 2019, 12:34 am

Can anyone give me some reputable trustworthy Vintage Pocket watch dealers Links? Please , eBay sellers who specialize in Pocket watches? Prefer size 20 18 and 16.
I want to go up to Los Angeles I live 25 miles south and look here: https://wannabuyawatch.com/product-cate ... ket-watch/

I prefer Omega, Hamilton, Waltham, Railroad watch and Gold or Silver.

Any references would be appreciated I'm new to Pocket watches and know little to 0

User avatar
unreformed66
VIP
Posts: 192
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Reputation: 59
Location: Ohio, United States

Annual award

VIP

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by unreformed66 » July 9th, 2019, 9:20 am

Well I don't know if you'd consider me to be reputable :mrgreen: but I've been dealing in antique American pocket watches for a few decades now. By the way, the prices on the website you linked to are about DOUBLE and TRIPLE average retail on those particular watches.

User avatar
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Posts: 3171
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 9:16 am
Reputation: 42
Location: Stockholm

Annual award

Moderator

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Good neighbour

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Yoda » July 9th, 2019, 10:09 am

unreformed66 wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 9:20 am
Well I don't know if you'd consider me to be reputable :mrgreen: but I've been dealing in antique American pocket watches for a few decades now. By the way, the prices on the website you linked to are about DOUBLE and TRIPLE average retail on those particular watches.
My thoughts as well regarding the prices. With these prices I would start unloading all my pocket watches.

I would say yes to unreformed66 being a reputable seller/buyer/watchmaker.
Never underestimate the power of denial

User avatar
Abarth
VIP
Posts: 86
Joined: April 14th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Reputation: 33
Location: Southern California

Annual award

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Abarth » July 9th, 2019, 3:22 pm

Yoda wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 10:09 am
unreformed66 wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 9:20 am
Well I don't know if you'd consider me to be reputable :mrgreen: but I've been dealing in antique American pocket watches for a few decades now. By the way, the prices on the website you linked to are about DOUBLE and TRIPLE average retail on those particular watches.
My thoughts as well regarding the prices. With these prices I would start unloading all my pocket watches.

I would say yes to unreformed66 being a reputable seller/buyer/watchmaker.
+!
Image

User avatar
Thrasher
Tinkerer
Posts: 188
Joined: March 9th, 2019, 11:54 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Thrasher » July 9th, 2019, 9:04 pm

@unreformed66 has rebuilt a bunch of movements for me mostly A6497s of Dubious character and a 3602 and really done a great job. So please.. I consider Dave a friend of tremendous character.

User avatar
Thrasher
Tinkerer
Posts: 188
Joined: March 9th, 2019, 11:54 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Thrasher » July 9th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Is there a thread here where I can see posted pictures of Members pocket watches???

@unreformed66 You have anything like a size 18 or 20 in silver or gold with a white porcelain dial and history, something that would look great but still have had a practical purpose

User avatar
Thrasher
Tinkerer
Posts: 188
Joined: March 9th, 2019, 11:54 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Thrasher » July 9th, 2019, 9:10 pm

Enamel Dial perhaps....I'm just starting to do some reading, Size 16 seems to be a standard size among RailRoad watches...I think American Made maybe in order

EBWing
VIP
Posts: 200
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 8:17 pm
Reputation: 8

Annual award

VIP

HF veteran

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by EBWing » July 9th, 2019, 10:03 pm

Yes @Unreformed66 he’s amazing You won’t be sorry!

User avatar
unreformed66
VIP
Posts: 192
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 4:16 pm
Reputation: 59
Location: Ohio, United States

Annual award

VIP

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by unreformed66 » July 9th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Yes, I've got some 16 size American railroad grade pocket watches that I'd consider selling.I've also got lots of 18 size watches. 20 size is not a standard American size. I'll get some pictures and prices together for you when I get a chance if you're interested. To be a true "Railroad" watch there were strict specifications, especially after the turn of the 20th century. 16 size, open face, winding at 12:00, 21 or more jewels, lever set, adjusted to at least 5 positions, bold black arabic numeral glass enamel dial and etc. And the rules could vary slightly from one railroad to another. Some only certified certain grades of certain brands. And the term "porcelain" dial is a misnomer, they are actually fired glass enamel.

User avatar
Thrasher
Tinkerer
Posts: 188
Joined: March 9th, 2019, 11:54 am
Reputation: 0

Re: Vintage Pocket Watch REPUTABLE DEALER?

Post by Thrasher » July 9th, 2019, 11:01 pm

unreformed66 wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 10:32 pm
Yes, I've got some 16 size American railroad grade pocket watches that I'd consider selling.I've also got lots of 18 size watches. 20 size is not a standard American size. I'll get some pictures and prices together for you when I get a chance if you're interested. To be a true "Railroad" watch there were strict specifications, especially after the turn of the 20th century. 16 size, open face, winding at 12:00, 21 or more jewels, lever set, adjusted to at least 5 positions, bold black arabic numeral glass enamel dial and etc. And the rules could vary slightly from one railroad to another. Some only certified certain grades of certain brands. And the term "porcelain" dial is a misnomer, they are actually fired glass enamel.

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I may post some examples of what I find around the net and you can advise. Size 18 would be best and I would rather buy from you or at least have your guidance on what is good and fair and what is not! Thank You :D

Post Reply