OMEGA POCKET WATCHES

Vintage pieces, golden era of USA pocket watches, etc
d_miller
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

OMEGA POCKET WATCHES

Post by d_miller »

Hi Everyone,

Im new to the forum and recently picked up 2 vintage omega pocket watches pictured below
the largers movement is about 36.5 mm or a size 8s
the smaller movement is about 28 mm or size 3/0s

looking to convert these to wristwatches but not sure where to find cases etc.
anyone have experience with these or know of any resources?
IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_3007 (3).jpg
57514749563__4835EB4B-C77E-42CA-B74A-15B41DDEC6E5 (1).JPG
Thanks!

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neckyzips
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Re: OMEGA POCKET WATCHES

Post by neckyzips »

great moments, show what type of case your looking for? you always run into issues with stem height etc when doing this type of thing.
are you wanting to use original dials or make some new ones?
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

I'd just about bet you that the smaller watch is a regular American "0" size. It doesn't have a set screw for the stem so it's negative setting at least. There were lots of cases for the "0" size movements from companies such as Keystone, Illinois Watch Case Co, and etc. You often find them with Elgin or Waltham movements in them. Of course I'm just giving you an educated guess based on past experience here but I do know for a fact that Omega did make movements in negative set in standard American sizes for the U.S. market.
d_miller
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by d_miller »

neckyzips wrote: March 24th, 2019, 3:50 pm great moments, show what type of case your looking for? you always run into issues with stem height etc when doing this type of thing.
are you wanting to use original dials or make some new ones?
just depends on whats out there

if i were to switch the dials i would want to a pilots watch or panerai style build
d_miller
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by d_miller »

unreformed66 wrote: March 24th, 2019, 3:54 pm I'd just about bet you that the smaller watch is a regular American "0" size. It doesn't have a set screw for the stem so it's negative setting at least. There were lots of cases for the "0" size movements from companies such as Keystone, Illinois Watch Case Co, and etc. You often find them with Elgin or Waltham movements in them. Of course I'm just giving you an educated guess based on past experience here but I do know for a fact that Omega did make movements in negative set in standard American sizes for the U.S. market.
thanks for the info!
should make the search easier
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

You're quite welcome. And by the way you don't measure the movement across the back plate to get the proper size, you measure them across the front plate (the dial side). Your larger movement is negative setting too and just might be big enough to be a 12 size but on this one I wouldn't make any bets without seeing it in person.
blueradish
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by blueradish »

You can check out Jackson's stuff as well as Helenarou for cases.

eBay is always a good bet as well.

http://www.militarytimewatch.com/new/

https://www.helenarou.com/

NZ is right you will have stem to stem tube alignment to deal with, likely need a custom movement ring (NZ can do that for you). I love getting a beautiful movement and fitting it into a nice case. It can all be done just takes time and patience.
Click the banner below to go to my Strap Gallery

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps