First strap leather made

General watch-related discussion
mountaineer
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

First strap leather made

Post by mountaineer »

Below are pics at my first attempt at a strap.

I am going to need some more practice. I learned a lot in the process. Made me really appreciate the leather artisans we have access to on this site.

I realized that I like a double thick/folded leather strap. I only used a single layer and it is kinda flimsy.

My backspacing on finishing a stitch got a little thick. Not sure it it is the thread width 0.8mm or my skills. Also my keeper is too big.

Question for those who know. If doing a double leather thickness, do you hammer the stitching iron through both layers? or layout cut strap and use stitching iron only through one layer and match up holes when sewing? Also, do you glue before stitching iron?

Thanks for the insight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Microbrand guru

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Re: First strap leather made

Post by jrlmsla »

Well I think that looks pretty good! Especially for the first time.

Like you said there are many artisans here that may know better but I glue the two thicknesses together and punch through both.
Thrasher
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Bike lover

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Good neighbour

Post by Thrasher »

You should ask [mention]blueradish[/mention] his work is really excellent and beautiful. I was just looking at his instagram today and admiring his leather work
toofsy
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

HF veteran

Strap maker

Skillful builder

Post by toofsy »

Not so bad and nice result.
It's depending about your prong design.
From an academic point of view the iron is used only to mark the leather not to bore a hole, ether one or three leather layer.
You have to make the hole with an diamond awl point by point from your right hand and introduce the needle from the left when you remove the awl.
When I begin before to improve the gesture (needle and awl in the same hand) I pierced holes one by one but in the same stage with my awl. You can put your piece of leather on a cork plate, you will have to be really regular in deep and perpendicular with the awl to have a regular stitch. I advice to use round awl in the corners.

However, to make a real hole (in one punch) with iron you can use a punch with diamond prong design, which offer the same thickness on the length, It is well adapted to the thicker thread and the look we usually looking for our vintage pam strap.
IconRays - aNYstrap - Ateliers d'Embellie
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Sponsor

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Strap maker

Post by straps68 »

Glue then punch all the way through.
mountaineer
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Frequent Flyer

Post by mountaineer »

Thanks everyone for the insight. I will work on another strap this weekend.
P4GTR
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by P4GTR »

Looks good. Glue the basic shape together then punch holes. Run a compass needle down the edges to mark your lines. you'll want to invest an 8-10 prick punch to get straight lines, a 3 for across, and a single for the tongue curves. All will need to be identical.. You can still sand, oil/dye after gluing and punching, then stitch it up.