Help identifying Speedmaster

General watch-related discussion
burauzaa
VIP
VIP

Help identifying Speedmaster

Post by burauzaa »

Can anyone tell me anything about this speedy from these pictures?

From what I can tell the lack of "Professional" on the dial means it's mid-late 60s. Obviously missing the crown, and I think stem.

Can anyone tell me the reference from these? What movement is in it? Just general thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Re: Help identifying Speedmaster

Post by Yoda »

Depending on the decade it was made, it ought to be either a calibre 861, 1861 or 1863.

In the 1950s and early 1960s it was the calibre 321, I have one of those on my bench now.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
mountaineer
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by mountaineer »

I know enough about Speedmasters to be dangerous . . . I am far from an expert and use this info for basis of further verification.

if all parts original to the watch:

That is s stepped dial with applied logo. Omega stopped using this dial style in mid 1970's.

The movement is either a 321, or 861. The 861 was introduced in 1968.

The case shape gives more clues. The crown and pushers are not protected by crown guards. The lugs are straight (not twisted) This tilts the case to 1963-1969, model 105.003. This would be a movement 321.

The case back tells it is prior to 1970. These are called pre moons.

You are correct with time range for non professional dial.

Bracelet looks like 7912, this would be 105.003 also.

My guess is mid 1960's, 105.003, 321 movement.

Opening case back would tell more. The watch is definitely worth looking into further.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

The lugs to the right looks "twisted", the ones to the left is harder to identify because of the angle and reflection.
burauzaa
VIP
VIP

Post by burauzaa »

Unfortunately those are the only pictures I have. Thanks for the info. I think [mention]mountaineer[/mention] confirmed a lot of the info I had gleaned too. Maybe I'll have it in my hands soon :)
I suppose I won't know what crown + stem it needs until I can get the caseback off to get a reference. I'll post once I know more.
burauzaa
VIP
VIP

Post by burauzaa »

I have another picture. The lugs look straight to me.Image
Last edited by burauzaa on September 22nd, 2020, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

They sure do!
burauzaa
VIP
VIP

Post by burauzaa »

There's a back story to this...

I had always had an interest in watches, and had own a few that interested me. Also I have a love of tinkering with things. Bikes, electronics, watches...

In 2013 I bought a 1920s Eglin pocket watch on ebay with the intention of taking it apart and seeing if I could put it back together again. It cost me $5, plus the cost of a mainspring, which I found was broken when I had it in pieces. With some careful taking of pictures and referring to a book I got out from the library I accomplished my task and the watch ran! I reported my success to my Dad in England, and at some point he told his twin brother, who was an avid watch collector. It was not long after that when I received a box in the mail with some books on watch repair and a 1960s Omega Geneve dress watch. A gift to welcome me into watch collecting from my uncle!

Over the next couple of years I received several more of these surprises in the mail, and every time I saw him he'd give me a bag of odd bits. I think they were things he'd acquired in boxes of stuff bought at estate sales. Some odd seikos, a 1920s Waltham wrist watch, a JLC travel alarm clock, a box of bits of movements and cases. One of the most amazing pieces is a silver pocket watch with a fusee movement dating to the early 1800s. It's signed by the maker who died in 1824 according to some research I did. The engraving on the movement is incredible, I've never seen anything like it, and it runs 200 years later!
8828008956_6b937a3b96_o.jpg
About a year ago he fell ill and a couple of weeks ago he passed away. It was sad for us all, but he had been declining rapidly over the last few months so it didn't come as a surprise. I think a lot of my love of watches comes from my conversations with him, I've been wearing watches he sent me exclusively since I heard the news.

Last weekend on my weekly Skype with my parents across the Atlantic they said that everyone was getting a watch from the collection.I was shown the watches one by one over the fuzzy Skype video connection. I have always wanted a Speedmaster and when I saw this one I knew that was the one that I would choose. I thought that choosing one that needed a bit of attention was most fitting given how my watch relationship had begun. Not knowing anything about it other than it was a classic looking Speedy was enough.
I will do what needs to be done to get it back to running condition and wear it (carefully) in his memory.

More pictures to come when I have it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
binbin
VIP
VIP

Post by binbin »

Wow, great story.

I love stories like this. Can't wait to see more of it.

All the best,
Simonix
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Simonix »

burauzaa wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 8:02 pm There's a back story to this...

I had always had an interest in watches, and had own a few that interested me. Also I have a love of tinkering with things. Bikes, electronics, watches...

In 2013 I bought a 1920s Eglin pocket watch on ebay with the intention of taking it apart and seeing if I could put it back together again. It cost me $5, plus the cost of a mainspring, which I found was broken when I had it in pieces. With some careful taking of pictures and referring to a book I got out from the library I accomplished my task and the watch ran! I reported my success to my Dad in England, and at some point he told his twin brother, who was an avid watch collector. It was not long after that when I received a box in the mail with some books on watch repair and a 1960s Omega Geneve dress watch. A gift to welcome me into watch collecting from my uncle!

Over the next couple of years I received several more of these surprises in the mail, and every time I saw him he'd give me a bag of odd bits. I think they were things he'd acquired in boxes of stuff bought at estate sales. Some odd seikos, a 1920s Waltham wrist watch, a JLC travel alarm clock, a box of bits of movements and cases. One of the most amazing pieces is a silver pocket watch with a fusee movement dating to the early 1800s. It's signed by the maker who died in 1824 according to some research I did. The engraving on the movement is incredible, I've never seen anything like it, and it runs 200 years later!

8828008956_6b937a3b96_o.jpg

About a year ago he fell ill and a couple of weeks ago he passed away. It was sad for us all, but he had been declining rapidly over the last few months so it didn't come as a surprise. I think a lot of my love of watches comes from my conversations with him, I've been wearing watches he sent me exclusively since I heard the news.

Last weekend on my weekly Skype with my parents across the Atlantic they said that everyone was getting a watch from the collection.I was shown the watches one by one over the fuzzy Skype video connection. I have always wanted a Speedmaster and when I saw this one I knew that was the one that I would choose. I thought that choosing one that needed a bit of attention was most fitting given how my watch relationship had begun. Not knowing anything about it other than it was a classic looking Speedy was enough.
I will do what needs to be done to get it back to running condition and wear it (carefully) in his memory.

More pictures to come when I have it...
Lovely, but bittersweet story.

That Speedy will be an amazing watch once it has been repaired by yourself. Of course the sentimental value will be priceless, but I would still get it insured, because it’s probably worth a few Bob too!?