VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Unboxing NOS Angelus 240 Weather Station

Post by erlendh »

Repost from our old site, this was back in Oct 2015. For the record, I have kept it as it is, no build for this movement. Also, the hands are radioactive (I have a Geiger counter), so not keen on opening it myself. High-res scans of the papers are here.

Unboxing NOS 240: Pictures

So I pulled the trigger on this one, I couldn't resist.

And it really seems NOS, like it's been in this box for 60 years or so. It looked like I was the first to ever touch the three caseback screws. The leather case is mint, same with the dials and hands. Also seems to have a really tall cannon pinion and hour wheel.

... and I haven't gotten further. The protective lid sits really tight. How does one get this off? I don't think it's any of the screws, but I could be wrong. Anyone?

Eager to get that thing off, but don't wanna risk anything with this beauty. From what I can see, movement has a brushed finish, a yellow cap on Angelus bridge jewel thing, and caseback says Incastar.

While we wait, let's take a look at the papers. I can scan these if you guys want, to get really nice copies good for printing etc.

This is a small booklet with lists of watchmaker's worldwide who are able to repair the 240:

This is instructions for the barometer and thermometer, one sheet, english on side, french on the other:

And same type sheet with instructions for movement:

Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Car lover

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Re: Unboxing NOS Angelus 240 Weather Station

Post by Tanukjaju »

Wow. I had forgotten about this one. Definitely amongst the top 5 of clean movements I have seen.

What happened / are the plans for this beauty?
:shifty:

macosie
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

HF veteran

Post by macosie »

I love that piece. I think the functional digital weather stations like that really have no charm or visual appeal like the old mechanicals do.
erlendh
VIP
VIP

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Italiano addict

Post by erlendh »

Tanukjaju wrote:What happened / are the plans for this beauty?
I haven’t touched it since. I’m figuring it needs a check, maybe oil, I would think dry after all these decades, and a check of the weather station functions, but I haven’t gotten it to Yoda yet. I did wind it once, before I thought of all that, and it ticked away beautifully. I haven’t even opened it again, because I don’t want to mess with the virtually untouched caseback screws.

It won’t become a build, plan is to keep it as a weather station. But as you know, things go slowly with me, haha.