Frequent Flyer

VIP

HF veteran

Watchmaker

Re: Attack of the Super Fakes

Post by unreformed66 »

hako wrote: March 28th, 2020, 6:43 pm
unreformed66 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 6:12 pm
hako wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 4:48 am I wasn’t aware that the Swiss once were big in the rep game :-)

And perhaps to add another hypothesis for the prevalence of reps:
If you can have sth so close to the real thing for 1/30 of the price, you start thinking that somebody is trying to rip you off and is making a mega profit...
"Swiss Fakes" of American pocket watches are a collectible category of their own. And regardless of what that article said they were NEVER even close in quality to the genuine American products.
They are collectibles nowadays??? :shock:
I foresee a bright future for some Chinese factories :P
Or even for our builds .... :shh:
They're collected more as a novelty or an oddity than as serious watches. No money in them, they sell for nearly nothing.
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

Prolific poster

Re: Attack of the Super Fakes

Post by earloflondon »

hako wrote:
unreformed66 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 6:12 pm
hako wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 4:48 am I wasn’t aware that the Swiss once were big in the rep game :-)

And perhaps to add another hypothesis for the prevalence of reps:
If you can have sth so close to the real thing for 1/30 of the price, you start thinking that somebody is trying to rip you off and is making a mega profit...
"Swiss Fakes" of American pocket watches are a collectible category of their own. And regardless of what that article said they were NEVER even close in quality to the genuine American products.
They are collectibles nowadays??? :shock:
I foresee a bright future for some Chinese factories Image
Or even for our builds .... :shh:
Man, builds here are amazingly close to the gens. I sometimes ask myself why they even sell at such low prices

Sent from my SM-M205F using Tapatalk