Screw head files - recommedations

General watch-related discussion
binbin
VIP
VIP

Screw head files - recommedations

Post by binbin »

What do you guys recommend for screw head files?

I see Grobert carries eight different sizes, but they run close to $40US for each file. I'm looking for more in the hobby price range. Didn't see too much listed on the usual Chinese sites but maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Re: Screw head files - recommedations

Post by Yoda »

binbin wrote: January 5th, 2020, 7:35 pm What do you guys recommend for screw head files?

I see Grobert carries eight different sizes, but they run close to $40US for each file. I'm looking for more in the hobby price range. Didn't see too much listed on the usual Chinese sites but maybe I'm searching for the wrong terms.
I can't be of much help here, because I "inherited" a set of the ones you mentioned....

I sometimes use a flat file and then a triangular file with which I gentle "wipe" off the excess material and then I polish the screw head.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

Try "slotting" file as well. You might get lucky if you can find one small enough. Mine are all antiques that came out of assortments of stuff that I've bought over the years.
thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

Post by thelonedoc »

If I'm not mistaken there are other methods used to slot a screw as well. If you have a lathe and verticle mill, I have read that you can use saw blades intended for slotting screws. Any carbide saw blade with the correct thickness should work though I would imagine. You might have better luck sourcing generic saw blades than specialty tools.

Just a thought.
neckyzips
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by neckyzips »

they are expensive, but they are well worth it and last quite a while.
binbin
VIP
VIP

Post by binbin »

Thank you for the replies guys. I'm going to have to start the hunt for a few vintage ones or a good used deal.

@thelonedoc, I have a few blades and have slotted screw heads with them. I could probably use a bunch of smaller blades also.

@unreformed, Slotting files. Good idea. That did bring up a few more expensive options. :)