News from the watch world.

General watch-related discussion
hako

Re: News from the watch world.

Post by hako »

AFAIK cousins were the only ones in watch industry bold enough to stand up and sue Swatch...
I personally would not expect Swiss cartel authorities to be too eager in this case.
====================================
Da builds: http://homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59#p101
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

TUFF Stough wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:23 pm wouldn't practice like this be reported to WTA?
No idea, personally I have never had any problems.

I do know stores and shops that won't open up a Rolex because they are not a certified dealer/repair shop.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
djolemag
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by djolemag »

Yoda wrote:
TUFF Stough wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:23 pm wouldn't practice like this be reported to WTA?
No idea, personally I have never had any problems.

I do know stores and shops that won't open up a Rolex because they are not a certified dealer/repair shop.
It has sense only for pieces under warranty.. Otherwise, it is my free will we har I will do with my own watch and who will service it. I am all with Cousins and think they are 100% right. Finally, short example: buying Omega mainspring is 4x more expensive than GR mainspring of same size.... Isn't it cartel case?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by calvinktlim »

Sounds like a breach of anti-trust and competition laws

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

unreformed66
VIP
VIP

Post by unreformed66 »

Being an independent watchmaker myself I DO have a dog in this fight. There's just not much that I can do about it. The last time I looked the minimum shop charge at one of the Rolex service centers was $800.00. And that's been a while. Swatch group brands are several hundred for a simple service at the MINIMUM. It's frustrating for me when I have a simple repair that requires a part and I have to go hunt it down on the internet and pay a ridiculous price for it because the supply is drying up and the companies won't release any more parts. It's not like I can't service that Rolex or Omega as well as the repair center guys can. I've done literally thousands of watches over the last 30 years and yes, I've cleaned up after "factory authorized" repair centers more than a few times. Not tooting my own horn here but I think I'm as good as any of the WOSTEP parts-changers and better than some of them.

Having spent a little time in Switzerland recently I don't look for Cousins to be able to do well in their court system. The Swiss are VERY protectionist where their industries are concerned. EVERYTHING that can possibly be made or sourced there is protected by stiff tariffs on imports to drive out competition with the Swiss industries. Everything from food to machines to jewelry and watches has that little tag or stamp that it's Proudly Made in Switzerland. And it's all expensive. I fervently hope for Cousins to prevail and I know that they've been fighting for years. I just don't have a lot of faith in their chances.
calvinktlim
Watch Addict
Watch Addict

Post by calvinktlim »

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/s ... w/30415136

Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

unreformed66 wrote: December 14th, 2019, 10:48 am Being an independent watchmaker myself I DO have a dog in this fight. There's just not much that I can do about it. The last time I looked the minimum shop charge at one of the Rolex service centers was $800.00. And that's been a while. Swatch group brands are several hundred for a simple service at the MINIMUM. It's frustrating for me when I have a simple repair that requires a part and I have to go hunt it down on the internet and pay a ridiculous price for it because the supply is drying up and the companies won't release any more parts. It's not like I can't service that Rolex or Omega as well as the repair center guys can. I've done literally thousands of watches over the last 30 years and yes, I've cleaned up after "factory authorized" repair centers more than a few times. Not tooting my own horn here but I think I'm as good as any of the WOSTEP parts-changers and better than some of them.

Having spent a little time in Switzerland recently I don't look for Cousins to be able to do well in their court system. The Swiss are VERY protectionist where their industries are concerned. EVERYTHING that can possibly be made or sourced there is protected by stiff tariffs on imports to drive out competition with the Swiss industries. Everything from food to machines to jewelry and watches has that little tag or stamp that it's Proudly Made in Switzerland. And it's all expensive. I fervently hope for Cousins to prevail and I know that they've been fighting for years. I just don't have a lot of faith in their chances.
Well said
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

unreformed66 wrote: December 14th, 2019, 10:48 am Being an independent watchmaker myself I DO have a dog in this fight. There's just not much that I can do about it. The last time I looked the minimum shop charge at one of the Rolex service centers was $800.00. And that's been a while. Swatch group brands are several hundred for a simple service at the MINIMUM. It's frustrating for me when I have a simple repair that requires a part and I have to go hunt it down on the internet and pay a ridiculous price for it because the supply is drying up and the companies won't release any more parts. It's not like I can't service that Rolex or Omega as well as the repair center guys can. I've done literally thousands of watches over the last 30 years and yes, I've cleaned up after "factory authorized" repair centers more than a few times. Not tooting my own horn here but I think I'm as good as any of the WOSTEP parts-changers and better than some of them.

+1 on this.

Omega parts - I have a good source these days.

I emailed you a few days ago.
hako

Post by hako »

calvinktlim wrote: December 14th, 2019, 10:59 am https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/s ... w/30415136

This says it all.
Swatch group indicted themselves. This is a clear sign that they do not expect to come out non-guilty.
Self-indictment usually results in a lower penalty.
Da builds: http://homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59#p101
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

I would not be too sad if they go down....I personally hope that they hit the floor hard and never rise again.

A new era for American movements instead of the Swiss crap.