General watch-related discussion
Fizzzz
Mad scientist
Mad scientist

Re: News from the watch world.

Post by Fizzzz »

This is a really long and complex story,

Actually, Swatch Group is pursuing 2 objectives:

1. Stop selling movements to competitors brands, especially the biggest luxury groups such as LVMH ( TAG, Zenith, Hublot…), Richemont…
Due to their monopolistic situation, they had to deal an agreement with COMCO ( Swiss cartel authority) in 2013.
Agreement was to gradually reduce movement supplying from 2013 to 2019.
Now, Swatch Group wants the COMCO to state that they are no more in a monopolistic situation, so as they can do whatever they want in 2020.

2. Make profit with aftersales services:
Refusing to supply parts to Cousins means slowly killing independent watchmakers.
(In a previous article, Cousins was estimating 50K jobs loss just for UK…)
Here the purpose is simple: Do you need to have a watch repaired or serviced? You will have to send it back to Switzerland…
Yet, Switzerland is known to have a very expensive labor cost.
So what’s the plan, where is the interest?
In order to maximize profits, plan is to have just the simplest operations really made locally: just swap movements.
Then you can discretely send the movements to repair in low cost countries such as Vietnam, India…

Just 2 figures to conclude:
2018 Swatch Group results:
Global revenue: + 6.1%
Profits: +14.8%

The saddest thing in this situation is the average customer, blinded by - so called - “Swiss Made” label,
I’m still wondering how they can keep this credible nowadays…
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

I am happy to have my own sources....
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
erlendh
VIP
VIP

Post by erlendh »

Rolex has done this for years. Norwegian watchmakers won't touch Rolex, says they're not allowed to order parts and thus can't do anything, even if what's needed doesn't even require parts. You can only service them at the OEM dealer, where there's only one option: Full service at around $1000, regardless of what's wrong. "I just need to align the date window?" "We only do full service." "I just need to replace gaskets?" "We only do full service." Since they have monopoly on service, they can set the terms and charge what they want. I once tried to get my Oysterquartz battery changed. They wanted $200 for that, plus they couldn't do it in my town, they had to ship it to the main office. To. Change. A. Fucking. Battery.

Luckily, there are a couple of watchmakers who have access to Rolex parts via acquaintances etc. and do full service for $200, unofficially of course, and their word is their warranty.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

erlendh wrote: December 16th, 2019, 5:25 pm Rolex has done this for years. Norwegian watchmakers won't touch Rolex, says they're not allowed to order parts and thus can't do anything, even if what's needed doesn't even require parts. You can only service them at the OEM dealer, where there's only one option: Full service at around $1000, regardless of what's wrong. "I just need to align the date window?" "We only do full service." "I just need to replace gaskets?" "We only do full service." Since they have monopoly on service, they can set the terms and charge what they want. I once tried to get my Oysterquartz battery changed. They wanted $200 for that, plus they couldn't do it in my town, they had to ship it to the main office. To. Change. A. Fucking. Battery.

Luckily, there are a couple of watchmakers who have access to Rolex parts via acquaintances etc. and do full service for $200, unofficially of course, and their word is their warranty.
Some of it can be solved in Sweden. We have a few independent watchmakers here and they don't care much about contracts and restrictions.
erlendh
VIP
VIP

Post by erlendh »

Yoda wrote: December 16th, 2019, 5:28 pmSome of it can be solved in Sweden.
I know, but I've sent you so much work over the years, I'm trying to ease the burden :D
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

erlendh wrote: December 16th, 2019, 5:31 pm
Yoda wrote: December 16th, 2019, 5:28 pmSome of it can be solved in Sweden.
I know, but I've sent you so much work over the years, I'm trying to ease the burden :D
Still, $200 for replacing a battery is a bit steep.
I pay less than a $ for a battery and in most cases it takes 5-10 minutes to do.
jibuti
VIP
VIP

Post by jibuti »

Is Nicolas Hayek turning in the grave?
cosmic2000
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by cosmic2000 »

jibuti wrote:Is Nicolas Hayek turning in the grave?
I am sure he is. He once wanted good and affordable design for everyone. Now Swatch is a synonyme for displacement and competition.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N960F mit Tapatalk

hako

Post by hako »

Interesting twist.
Here a recent statement of Swatch:

https://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t ... sg_7637485
====================================
Da builds: http://homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59#p101
====================================
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by earloflondon »

Yoda wrote:I would not be too sad if they go down....I personally hope that they hit the floor hard and never rise again.

A new era for American movements instead of the Swiss crap.
Woow. Slow mate. Btw Chinese stuff will take on it seems with the help of jap tech

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk