Old idea, new build.

General watch-related discussion
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Re: Old idea, new build.

Post by Yoda »

Tanukjaju wrote: August 15th, 2019, 5:33 pm Need any other parts to get to the finish line?
No, I think that I have it all. Thanks for asking!
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
mykeos
VIP
VIP

Post by mykeos »

Subscribed! Now that's the thing I've been waiting for couple of years now:) This is going to be a project of the year here on HF,I'm sure.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Updated with a picture of the movement in question.

Depending on the length of the setting and winding parts and the amount of space under the crystal I will take down their height or fit a high dome crystal, time will tell.
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Yoda wrote: August 16th, 2019, 2:38 am
TimemiT wrote: August 15th, 2019, 6:16 pm A flip open caseback for the KW?
I will use a set meant for the WL, easiest. My only concern is that there will be a crown, it would be so much cooler if there was nothing on the side and I will see if I can use it for winding/setting key combination.
If you can find a micro welder to fill in the hole, you can reshape and refinish. Hopefully it’s a brushed or polished main case.
:shifty:

Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Tanukjaju wrote: August 16th, 2019, 10:21 am
Yoda wrote: August 16th, 2019, 2:38 am
TimemiT wrote: August 15th, 2019, 6:16 pm A flip open caseback for the KW?
I will use a set meant for the WL, easiest. My only concern is that there will be a crown, it would be so much cooler if there was nothing on the side and I will see if I can use it for winding/setting key combination.
If you can find a micro welder to fill in the hole, you can reshape and refinish. Hopefully it’s a brushed or polished main case.
It's a blasted mid case, so a few steps will be needed after the welding. I have a plan..I have been thinking about this for years, so the picture and possibilities are pretty clear.
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Post by jrlmsla »

I wonder if winding could be done by a “bezel” on the caseback. I think I’ve seen a watch that winds that way somewhere.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

jrlmsla wrote: August 17th, 2019, 2:44 am I wonder if winding could be done by a “bezel” on the caseback. I think I’ve seen a watch that winds that way somewhere.
That would require a lot of work and effort, I assume that you are thinking about the 8 days Hebdomas pocket watches.
They had a ring with a geared portion on the inside and a barrel sticking out from the movement side, or a winding wheel connected to the barrel. I am sure that there has been other solutions over time, but this particular mechanism is the one that I have worked on.
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

Subscribed. No pressure [mention]Yoda[/mention] !!!!!
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
civic4982
VIP
VIP

Post by civic4982 »

Can’t wait to see this develop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Post by jrlmsla »

Yoda wrote:
jrlmsla wrote: August 17th, 2019, 2:44 am I wonder if winding could be done by a “bezel” on the caseback. I think I’ve seen a watch that winds that way somewhere.
That would require a lot of work and effort, I assume that you are thinking about the 8 days Hebdomas pocket watches.
They had a ring with a geared portion on the inside and a barrel sticking out from the movement side, or a winding wheel connected to the barrel. I am sure that there has been other solutions over time, but this particular mechanism is the one that I have worked on.
I don’t think that’s it. I’ll have to look in a book I have at my office on Monday. Pretty sure that’s where I saw the watch