Any watches and those unfinished with Oyang case sets

General watch-related discussion
Bigwaved
VIP
VIP

Re: Any watches and those unfinished with Oyang case sets

Post by Bigwaved »

This thread is similar to what took place when he originally shared his 6154 project. Some people back then were very critical of the "not exactly like the gen" design as well. He never intended it to be that per him. He wanted what he ended up with. He made a very small batch of them, which is why the cost is what it is. In my opinion, you have to have a hands on experience of building out one of these cases to appreciate the allure. I can say I do not regret taking the dive in to obtain one of them. It is one of my favorite builds. I will drag out a few pictures of mine to post here.
Bigwaved
VIP
VIP

Post by Bigwaved »

Bigwaved
VIP
VIP

Post by Bigwaved »

Here is a very old thread that was lost when the old forum closed:

I took some comparison shots of my Oyang and Athaya V2 6154 case. Many thanks to all those who helped me with these projects. Zeke, Saga, Betmen, Athaya, Oyang, Elias, Southy, Esdee and all those who have helped me develop my skills enough to realize these as they now stand. Although this hobby has cost me a mint, I have gained priceless friendships and have been enjoying myself immensely. On to the pictures...

The Oyang is cream faced and has the blonde strap. The Athaya is tobacco faced and has the brown strap.

earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by earloflondon »

Wow. The legend is alive. Excellent pieces of art. Wish I had one

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using Tapatalk

Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

+1 great profile
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
civic4982
VIP
VIP

Post by civic4982 »

Sandwich wrote:Interesting thread! There certainly are a lot of case options out there now; there were many fewer when the oyang 3646 and 6154 cases were created (about 8-9 years ago now).

When the 3646 case was designed, there were no ready sources for gen construction style 3646 cases (bezel and back screwdown onto movement holder sandwiching the midcase). The most common case was the Silix, which was not gen design. Nightwatch was doing great custom jobs where he would core out a Silix midcase (I believe), and then add a custom movement holder, bezel, and caseback to achieve the gen construction. He would also redo the lugs as soldered lugs in thicker gen style than the Silix lugs. The oyang 3646 was an attempt to recreate gen construction. It was crude to start and required a lot of custom reshaping, as well as soldering or welding of lugs after bending them from straight wire.

A few years earlier, a guy had offered gen construction cases for about $5k each and sold a few. That ended in some controversy over cases never delivered and money never refunded, apparently; some of the mods might know that ancient history from about 15 years ago.

This case and the 6154 were both machined from 316L steel by a shop working off CAD files using a 5-axis mill.

The 6154 was a much more ambitious case. Again, at that time, there were no cases that were anywhere close in terms of gen construction. The main elements in the gen that needed to be replicated were the two-piece bezel, and the two-step dial projecting up inside the inner bezel. This latter feature was what allowed the midcase to have a very slim profile like the gen while holding the relatively thick 616/618 movement and a sandwich dial. The "References" book gave a measurement of the midcase height of 5.7mm, and available cases (Silix and Athaya) were 1-2mm thicker. The height of a 616/618 movement is about 4.7mm, so incorporating the movement and a 1.5-2mm sandwich dial required this design. I think the oyang 6154 case was the first to do this, perhaps the first to notice this feature from studying photos of the 6154 and incorporate it into a homage case. The other feature was a magnetic shield inside. So, much of the fun of the 6154 case is its innards and thin profile. Looks like other case designs may have caught up, but the oyang 6154 was probably the earliest gen design case available, and was literally built around the 616/618 movement like the original gen. If you look at the design, every fraction of a mm of thickness is used; there is no empty space in that case when the movement and dial are in place. Another feature it had was the thin domed caseback, while other cases at that time had thick casebacks like the 6152.

Here are some pictures of the oyang 6154 design...

CAD layout of all assembled parts in wireframe:

CAD display of all parts, from top-down the crystal, outer bezel, inner bezel, two step sandwich dial, movement holder, midcase and crown, magnetic shield, and caseback:

Comparison to the Silix 6154 case available at that time:

Comparison to the Athaya 6154 case available at that time:

Comparison to a picture of a gen 6154 profile:

"Legendary" is an overstatement, but these were labors of love from someone who really wanted 3646 and 6154 gen-like construction cases at a time when they weren't available.
This post itself is pretty legendary.

Definitely helps put a pin in it so far as remembering where we were just a short few years ago with simple silix cases being reshaped.

To start a project that not only included the case but the dial to match was quite a feat.

Thanks.

Also, @bigwaved, thanks for sharing those epic builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

Sandwich wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 10:21 pm Interesting thread!
Please, feel welcome!

We have tweaked your profile so it shows you are a veteran :arrow:
tafari
VIP
VIP

Post by tafari »

very interested and beautiful watches +1
thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

Post by thelonedoc »

Sandwich wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 10:21 pm Interesting thread! There certainly are a lot of case options out there now; there were many fewer when the oyang 3646 and 6154 cases were created (about 8-9 years ago now).

When the 3646 case was designed, there were no ready sources for gen construction style 3646 cases (bezel and back screwdown onto movement holder sandwiching the midcase). The most common case was the Silix, which was not gen design. Nightwatch was doing great custom jobs where he would core out a Silix midcase (I believe), and then add a custom movement holder, bezel, and caseback to achieve the gen construction. He would also redo the lugs as soldered lugs in thicker gen style than the Silix lugs. The oyang 3646 was an attempt to recreate gen construction. It was crude to start and required a lot of custom reshaping, as well as soldering or welding of lugs after bending them from straight wire.

A few years earlier, a guy had offered gen construction cases for about $5k each and sold a few. That ended in some controversy over cases never delivered and money never refunded, apparently; some of the mods might know that ancient history from about 15 years ago.

This case and the 6154 were both machined from 316L steel by a shop working off CAD files using a 5-axis mill.

The 6154 was a much more ambitious case. Again, at that time, there were no cases that were anywhere close in terms of gen construction. The main elements in the gen that needed to be replicated were the two-piece bezel, and the two-step dial projecting up inside the inner bezel. This latter feature was what allowed the midcase to have a very slim profile like the gen while holding the relatively thick 616/618 movement and a sandwich dial. The "References" book gave a measurement of the midcase height of 5.7mm, and available cases (Silix and Athaya) were 1-2mm thicker. The height of a 616/618 movement is about 4.7mm, so incorporating the movement and a 1.5-2mm sandwich dial required this design. I think the oyang 6154 case was the first to do this, perhaps the first to notice this feature from studying photos of the 6154 and incorporate it into a homage case. The other feature was a magnetic shield inside. So, much of the fun of the 6154 case is its innards and thin profile. Looks like other case designs may have caught up, but the oyang 6154 was probably the earliest gen design case available, and was literally built around the 616/618 movement like the original gen. If you look at the design, every fraction of a mm of thickness is used; there is no empty space in that case when the movement and dial are in place. Another feature it had was the thin domed caseback, while other cases at that time had thick casebacks like the 6152.

Here are some pictures of the oyang 6154 design...

CAD layout of all assembled parts in wireframe:

CAD display of all parts, from top-down the crystal, outer bezel, inner bezel, two step sandwich dial, movement holder, midcase and crown, magnetic shield, and caseback:

Comparison to the Silix 6154 case available at that time:

Comparison to the Athaya 6154 case available at that time:

Comparison to a picture of a gen 6154 profile:

"Legendary" is an overstatement, but these were labors of love from someone who really wanted 3646 and 6154 gen-like construction cases at a time when they weren't available.
This response knocked it out of the park...

I went from very confused about the hype surrounding these oyang cases to really wanting one!

The execution of this post was encyclopedic, amazing work.
earloflondon
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by earloflondon »

I myself had no idea about other cases before when I first was acquainted with one of these Oyang 3646 cases on another site on a thread like '. ... Museum Piece...' Lucky me, my earliest experience was with one of the most eccentric specimens of the homage world. Needless to say, I have PMd the guy who later was trying to sell it, but it has never been replied by him.

Here I found the link

https://rwg.cc/topic/185947-3646-guidan ... ade-piece/