Interesting eBay Auctions

General watch-related discussion
erlendh
VIP
VIP

Re: Interesting eBay Auctions

Post by erlendh »

Congrats on the 1000th post in this topic mykeos!
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

Just thinking ... the Type 1 would be the Non-incabloc 17 Jewel, the Type 2,3 & 4 would be Incabloc with only the Type 2 having 15 jewels engraved in a different manner. Based on the photo's I have seen online from Perezscope.

Weren't these movements issued by Rolex to Panerai in a sequence of serial numbers stamped on the plate? A very limited series of serial numbers? Any build with a serial stamping on the movement that was outside of this range would be suspect? Or would those Rolex 618 movement's be stamped all manner of numbers?

Only thing that would attract me would be to have a movement like this as a backup (for my genuine build) ... if it ever needs parts?
mykeos wrote: October 14th, 2019, 9:22 am
Yoda wrote: October 14th, 2019, 9:10 am I hate ugly movements, this one leaves me cold. For $50, yes. History of Rolex and Panerai means nothing to me. Wait, I am in the wrong forum now...LOL!
Yes,you have a point,but imagine someone who is getting this one to make a "real" thing with it.Those movements are rare and with a genuine dial and a good quality case,this might end up on an auction sometime in the future.Grey area and all...
Alpacalypse Now
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Post by Sandwich »

I've collected a few serials of genuine 618s and Cort 616s (many of which were posted on the old HF); there are very few but they fall across a large range. I think Cortebert ran batches inbetween producing 616 batches; they are interspersed because the batches were interspersed. It would be pretty tough to have a complete enough serial number base to know what is real and fake because the range is so huge, unless a serial is very close to a known example.

I'm not so sure about that typing scheme and the inca. I thought only the very late movements in the 1950s had inca. I don't think original 3646 movements had it, just some of the later 6152 movements. All the info from the books is highly suspect because they claim many frankenwatches are original, and Perez uses a lot of conjecture (which is easy for disproving fakes, but very difficult for proving originals).

I wouldn't use this movement for a build because it's pretty clear from the markings that this is a movement from a pocketwatch that was not used in gen watches. I don't think it's any more "gen" than using an elinvar 622 movement, except that it more closely resembles the gen. However, resembles and equals are two different things. And you'd be destroying a really rare and beautiful pocketwatch, the same way some profit-driven Paneristi do for their frankenwatches. If you want something that closely resembles gen, may as well just modify a 616 with replica bridges; that's just as historically accurate/inaccurate as using this movement from a rare pocketwatch. Either way, the movement is not original to Panerai watches, and both ways they are coming from period pocketwatches, and anyone who really knows Panerai will know both are fakes, so why destroy a rare pocketwatch? It's one thing to take a movement from a very common Cort pocketwatch, but another to take one from a highly uncommon collectible Rolex pocketwatch, IMO.
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

Agree .... now, if the movement were loose, then maybe different story. :D I believe it has more value as it is in it's current state.

yes, I was referencing Perez' photo where he shows the 618 Type 1, 2, 3 and 4 ... there is that debate about some of his movement evaluations ... thankfully my level of OCD and need to Replicate has not reached those levels of a $60K watch :D

Yoda .. probably reading this and thinking ... "what a bunch of morons .. Panerai, Rolex pcoketwatches .. Pfffffttt!!" :lol:
Sandwich wrote: October 14th, 2019, 7:22 pm Either way, the movement is not original to Panerai watches, and both ways they are coming from period pocketwatches, and anyone who really knows Panerai will know both are fakes, so why destroy a rare pocketwatch? It's one thing to take a movement from a very common Cort pocketwatch, but another to take one from a highly uncommon collectible Rolex pocketwatch, IMO.
Alpacalypse Now
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Post by Sandwich »

Glad we agree! And yes, a homeless movement is a whole different story!
unfertiger
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by unfertiger »

Sandwich wrote: October 14th, 2019, 7:22 pm Either way, the movement is not original to Panerai watches, and both ways they are coming from period pocketwatches, and anyone who really knows Panerai will know both are fakes, so why destroy a rare pocketwatch? It's one thing to take a movement from a very common Cort pocketwatch, but another to take one from a highly uncommon collectible Rolex pocketwatch, IMO.
:thumbup: I only can second this...

It is a beautiful pocketwatch, especially with the engravings from April 1947 a even more rare find.
mykeos
VIP
VIP

Post by mykeos »

erlendh wrote: October 14th, 2019, 4:49 pm Congrats on the 1000th post in this topic mykeos!
Hehe,thanks,luckily for the HF community,all the 1k posts are not from me :lol:

On a serious note,what do you guys think of the final price for that Rlx? Imo,it indeed indicates someone has greater plans than just pocket watch collecting.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

TimemiT wrote: October 14th, 2019, 7:41 pm Agree .... now, if the movement were loose, then maybe different story. :D I believe it has more value as it is in it's current state.

yes, I was referencing Perez' photo where he shows the 618 Type 1, 2, 3 and 4 ... there is that debate about some of his movement evaluations ... thankfully my level of OCD and need to Replicate has not reached those levels of a $60K watch :D

Yoda .. probably reading this and thinking ... "what a bunch of morons .. Panerai, Rolex pcoketwatches .. Pfffffttt!!" :lol:
LOL! No, not really, I do respect that we think differently.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
erlendh
VIP
VIP

Post by erlendh »

Crazy price. I think this will end up in a build.
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Post by Sandwich »

erlendh wrote: October 15th, 2019, 4:13 am Crazy price. I think this will end up in a build.
Sadly I think you’re right.