Interesting eBay Auctions

General watch-related discussion
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Re: Interesting eBay Auctions

Post by Tanukjaju »

deneverember wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:54 am
tafari wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:49 am it is a worth price for a movement in this condition
I'd love to have an Incastar version ( not the non-alarm PAM version of course ),
but at the price range these have.. not today...
There are a few things that are interesting... and to think about if you are interested

1 of the screws is wrong... not sure if the original is lost or a bigger one put in because the original hole is stripped out.

The hour wheel is odd....and photos provided are to hide something. It’s sitting high.
1). It could either be a thick gear hourwheel that I have encountered a couple
Of times
2). It’s propped up on this photo so the difference in length as The CP looks like an H6 and the HW an H1 or H2

Brand engraving also looks like it was filled before being replated... This pic seems to show remnants of an engraving

:shifty:

tafari
VIP
VIP

Post by tafari »

Tanukjaju wrote:
deneverember wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:54 am
tafari wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:49 am it is a worth price for a movement in this condition
I'd love to have an Incastar version ( not the non-alarm PAM version of course ),
but at the price range these have.. not today...
There are a few things that are interesting... and to think about if you are interested

1 of the screws is wrong... not sure if the original is lost or a bigger one put in because the original hole is stripped out.

The hour wheel is odd....and photos provided are to hide something. It’s sitting high.
1). It could either be a thick gear hourwheel that I have encountered a couple
Of times
2). It’s propped up on this photo so the difference in length as The CP looks like an H6 and the HW an H1 or H2

Brand engraving also looks like it was filled before being replated... This pic seems to show remnants of an engraving

thanks for a very good explaining, the selller bought the movement around 500$ on ebay back in the days. we discuss it here too. than he set it on ebay again for this unbelievable price. even he bought it to expensive
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Yoda wrote: February 29th, 2020, 9:50 am
hako wrote: February 29th, 2020, 3:25 am I would scrutinize this before bidding:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2967124114
Description changed, but he didn't reveal his name...
We know he’s from Spain.... probably 56 years old and new on eBay

Ciccio
VIP
VIP

Post by Ciccio »

Hey guys, I’m curious about eBay scams. Almost all sellers take PayPal, so if the items received aren’t as described the buyer simply has to file a claim with PayPal and they get their money back. What am I missing here?

I ask this partly because someone reached out to me on Instagram offering me a vintage Doxa at a pretty low price. He was willing to take PayPal but I still passed, just didn’t smell right... but I looked into my protections, and on paper at least, didn’t seem like it would have been too huge a gamble (excepting the interim inconvenience).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Ciccio wrote: February 29th, 2020, 10:07 am Hey guys, I’m curious about eBay scams. Almost all sellers take PayPal, so if the items received aren’t as described the buyer simply has to file a claim with PayPal and they get their money back. What am I missing here?

I ask this partly because someone reached out to me on Instagram offering me a vintage Doxa at a pretty low price. He was willing to take PayPal but I still passed, just didn’t smell right... but I looked into my protections, and on paper at least, didn’t seem like it would have been too huge a gamble (excepting the interim inconvenience).

Being approached is a bit shady unless you put out a WTB. And honestly if I wanted to scam for $5-10K on eBay or wherever, it would be very easy. I always say buy the seller...and ask for references if in Doubt....eBay ID, other watch forums activities etc....and verify!

tafari
VIP
VIP

Post by tafari »

Ciccio wrote:Hey guys, I’m curious about eBay scams. Almost all sellers take PayPal, so if the items received aren’t as described the buyer simply has to file a claim with PayPal and they get their money back. What am I missing here?

I don’t agree with this, me personally will not offer paypal too, because
1. if you sell as a private person you will not give a take back of the item. but if you offer paypal you have to take it back.
2. as far a buyer open a case on pp the seller straight goes in minus. that mean as the buyer did a contract with the seller, he is now owning the money or the part. pp will not take care about the shipping back the part.
3. the support worker will decide about the case.

the terms of use from are not very good. paypal and friends is ok
Ciccio
VIP
VIP

Post by Ciccio »

Tanukjaju wrote:
Ciccio wrote: February 29th, 2020, 10:07 am Hey guys, I’m curious about eBay scams. Almost all sellers take PayPal, so if the items received aren’t as described the buyer simply has to file a claim with PayPal and they get their money back. What am I missing here?

Being approached is a bit shady unless you put out a WTB. And honestly if I wanted to scam for $5-10K on eBay or wherever, it would be very easy. I always say buy the seller...and ask for references if in Doubt....eBay ID, other watch forums activities etc....and verify!
Totally buy the seller, I agree... but still don’t understand how the scammer is ahead if PayPal ends up reversing the charges anyway?

Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Ciccio wrote: February 29th, 2020, 10:32 am
Tanukjaju wrote:

Totally buy the seller, I agree... but still don’t understand how the scammer is ahead if PayPal ends up reversing the charges anyway?

I will say it.

I have an established / confirmed PayPal account. I’ve had 1 instance where I sold something, buyer paid me Friday, at which time I transferred the whole amount to my bank. Just before I sent the item to the post office on Monday, the buyer contacts me and says he changed his mind and would like a refund. I say no problems. Meanwhile, I issued a item cancellation that triggers a refund on PayPal. Interesting thing is PayPal showed a negative balance of what I refunded after they credited the buyers account. Paypal kept asking me to top my account, it did not automatically draw from my bank account nor attached credit card. If I were a scammer, I could easily have closed my bank account and cancelled my credit card and been up $1000. I’m sure that there are other similar loopholes to exploit.

With regards to friends and family, we know a work around from the old days on HFv1. It’s very easy to get a friends and family payment reversed with a few lies. (I won’t list them)

Ciccio
VIP
VIP

Post by Ciccio »

Tanukjaju wrote:
Tanukjaju wrote:

I will say it.

I have an established / confirmed PayPal account. I’ve had 1 instance where I sold something, buyer paid me Friday, at which time I transferred the whole amount to my bank. Just before I sent the item to the post office on Monday, the buyer contacts me and says he changed his mind and would like a refund. I say no problems. Meanwhile, I issued a item cancellation that triggers a refund on PayPal. Interesting thing is PayPal showed a negative balance of what I refunded after they credited the buyers account. Paypal kept asking me to top my account, it did not automatically draw from my bank account nor attached credit card. If I were a scammer, I could easily have closed my bank account and cancelled my credit card and been up $1000. I’m sure that there are other similar loopholes to exploit.

With regards to friends and family, we know a work around from the old days on HFv1. It’s very easy to get a friends and family payment reversed with a few lies. (I won’t list them)
Got it. So the buyer might not be victimized but PayPal is, who in turn jacks up their fees to recoup their losses, passing it all on us, the consumers. Thanks Tan

Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Ciccio wrote: February 29th, 2020, 10:49 am
Tanukjaju wrote:

I will say it.

Got it. So the buyer might not be victimized but PayPal is, who in turn jacks up their fees to recoup their losses, passing it all on us, the consumers. Thanks Tan

A good scammer will know how to play the mediator on PayPal too. It all goes back to buying the seller IMO.