Angelus 240 stem wind alarm conversion

Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
karot81
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Angelus 240 stem wind alarm conversion

Post by karot81 »

Hi,
after few months of research I was able to buy a 240sf. Idea is to have it soon in a 6152 homage.

Who in the forum could take of the conversion and service?
Europe would be the preferred option..

I saw also the possibility to cover the alarm, but I’m open to various scenarios
E12ED02A-78B6-494B-A113-4B7F8EF648AC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Car lover

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Re: Angelus 240 stem wind alarm conversion

Post by Tanukjaju »

That’s a beautiful movement. Does [mention]Nightwatch[/mention] still do conversions?
:shifty:

thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

I'm hot

VIP

HF veteran

Strap maker

8 giorni nut

Post by thelonedoc »

The only person that I know of that makes conversion bridge plates is Jorge (chileantiques).

The very thin plate that Emillio has for sale is the correct shape for this movement if you choose to cover up the alarm components.

The benefit of covering them is that the movement will remain totally stock and have a much higher chance of running nicely.

The conversion plates might need some fine tuning by a skilled watchmaker.

The modifications to the front side of the movement are not terribly difficult, just be cautious if you choose to attempt them yourself. Also I don't recommend doing the modifications with the movement fully assembled.
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Car lover

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by Tanukjaju »

thelonedoc wrote: March 6th, 2020, 10:47 am The only person that I know of that makes conversion bridge plates is Jorge (chileantiques).

The very thin plate that Emillio has for sale is the correct shape for this movement if you choose to cover up the alarm components.

The benefit of covering them is that the movement will remain totally stock and have a much higher chance of running nicely.

The conversion plates might need some fine tuning by a skilled watchmaker.

The modifications to the front side of the movement are not terribly difficult, just be cautious if you choose to attempt them yourself. Also I don't recommend doing the modifications with the movement fully assembled.
Definitely disassemble before doing front side mods.

karot81
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by karot81 »

Ok, thanks. I wouldn’t have the skill now to do any conversion by myself.
For what concerning the cover on sale by emilio, also that one requires mod to be done with the movement disassembled?
karot81
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by karot81 »

Thanks, I’ve bought it the day in which I wrote angelus in the chat instead that in the search function😁 but there weren’t picture of the movement itself.. so till today I received it I was not sure about it and the conditions
thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

I'm hot

VIP

HF veteran

Strap maker

8 giorni nut

Post by thelonedoc »

karot81 wrote: March 6th, 2020, 12:26 pm Ok, thanks. I wouldn’t have the skill now to do any conversion by myself.
For what concerning the cover on sale by emilio, also that one requires mod to be done with the movement disassembled?
Yes that plate will still require mods to the dial side of the movement.

There are a few uneeded parts that protrude into the area that the dial will eventually sit. There have been guides made where the movement is covered with tape and the pins are filed down. This is a bad idea because it will introduce metal dust into the movement. Also there is a hardened steel gear that needs to be removed and cut.

Since yoda and tan haven't offered to do it and have been active in this thread, that would leave [mention]unreformed66[/mention] as your best option. He is in the USA though so geographically not ideal for you. That being said he would have the movement operating flawlessly for you when he is done.

240 builds are in a league of their own when it comes to using them in builds. To end up with a watch that runs nicely takes patience and $$$. I have two 240 builds that now been in progress for a long time. In the mean time I have built several other watches easily using 6497s and molys etc.

Another thing to be aware of is that the wrong type of pressure being applied to these movements can cause them to be erratic. So be careful what case set you choose. I have found that even the movement holder can sometimes slightly rub on the barrel and cause them to stop running.

The best "out of the box" case set out there for the 240 is the new nightwatch 6152/1 case I beleive. Not cheap but it might save you a lot of headaches down the road. His dials also can be ordered with dial feet for the 240 and again will be a perfect fit for the case.

The best advise I can give is to brace yourself and expect the unexpected. Be patient and take your time, it will pay off in the long run.
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Car lover

I'm hot

Animal

5 year veteran

Frequent Flyer

VIP

Prolific poster

HF veteran

Skillful builder

8 giorni nut

Good neighbour

Post by Tanukjaju »

Yep and Tan is located in the US. I’ve pretty much stopped doing conversions for others as we now have reasonable priced and proper watch makers on this forum.

As [mention]thelonedoc[/mention] mentioned, the movement is sensitive to pressure and a poor front side conversion can lead to other issues. Don’t let these scare you away, just know that we have gone through issues and know how to resolve these issues.

thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

I'm hot

VIP

HF veteran

Strap maker

8 giorni nut

Post by thelonedoc »

Yoda wrote: March 6th, 2020, 1:16 pm I heard my name being mentioned and yes, I usually do conversions.

I will avoid high jacking this thread, so you will have to read the explanation in Off Topic.

Explanation ready now.
I hope you didn't think I was critisizing you because that was not my intent. I know you are focusing on your health and that is much more important than working on people's projects. I was just pointing out that 2 of our top experts in this subject did not appear to be an option to have the conversion done.

I know what needs to be done and could potentially offer my services in performing the conversion, however I am not a watchmaker and do not have the knowledge to troubleshoot the other various potential repairs that the movement might require. Nor am I in the EU. Therefore someone who is capable of doing it all at once would be a better option.