Rolex Extra Prima: Difference between 666 and 663?

Share experiences and specs of different watch movements
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Rolex Extra Prima: Difference between 666 and 663?

Post by Sandwich »

I've got this movement. Is this a 666 or 663 or something else, and what is the difference? The top plate is about 36-37mm diameter... perfect for a Panerai dial! This or similar was used in some early prototypes, right?
Rolex Prima.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
binbin
VIP
VIP

Re: Rolex Extra Prima: Difference between 666 and 663?

Post by binbin »

At the beginning of this thread there is a photo of the prototype you may be talking about.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1761&start=10
VanSong
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by VanSong »

Sandwich wrote:I've got this movement. Is this a 666 or 663 or something else, and what is the difference? The top plate is about 36-37mm diameter... perfect for a Panerai dial! This or similar was used in some early prototypes, right?
Rolex Prima.jpg
Interesting find! Does look indentical to the movement pic taken from the Panerai Museum from Binbin mentioned thread. I think the only difference with your movement compare to the Museum movement pic is the Regulator.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by straps68 »

VanSong wrote: September 13th, 2019, 5:13 am
Sandwich wrote:I've got this movement. Is this a 666 or 663 or something else, and what is the difference? The top plate is about 36-37mm diameter... perfect for a Panerai dial! This or similar was used in some early prototypes, right?Rolex Prima.jpg
Interesting find! Does look indentical to the movement pic taken from the Panerai Museum from Binbin mentioned thread. I think the only difference with your movement compare to the Museum movement pic is the Regulator.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Actually, if you look close, the regulator is the same, however, [mention]Sandwich[/mention]'s movement is missing the "swan neck". It is a very beautiful movement!
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

I am very sure that what you have there is a Montillier calibre and it is the 663. I am not familiar with the 666, but that may very well be made by Montilier as well.

I helped a member of HF with one of these, he needed a stem, that's why I know what it is. As already written, the swan neck spring for the regulator is missing on the movement in the picture.

My supplier had all the parts for these when she was still in the business, unfortunately she sold and retired in September 2018.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Akvanautas
VIP
VIP

Post by Akvanautas »

Had one of these. Very beautiful movement but if you need any spare parts for it..such a pain in ass to find anything
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Post by Sandwich »

Fortunately it runs well and is missing only the swan neck. Now what to do with it... I think a 2533 build is in the cards.
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Has it been serviced? It looks a bit tarnished.

Anyway, how does this swan neck look?

I can ask around when I know.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Post by Sandwich »

It hasn't been serviced and definitely needs a good cleaning, although it runs smoothly as is. A replacement swan neck would be nice, if you can find a swan to sacrifice....
Sandwich
VIP
VIP

Post by Sandwich »

I found this picture of one with the swan neck. Is it a hard part to make if an original can't be found?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.