Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli

Strap, buckle, and box making, reviews, and more
Comandante
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Re: Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli

Post by Comandante »

Emilio wrote:[mention]Comandante[/mention] please! keep us posted

Will a sewing machine be used to get the stitchings done?
So after chatting with Mr Brelli I got an update,those straps are sewn with machine!
Emilio
Doom Slayer
Doom Slayer

Post by Emilio »

Gen like!
bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by bmsm »

Great research!

Some Strap Pictures:
http://www.paneraisource.com/aftermarke ... s_mp.shtml

For those that can read Italian here's more info on this https://we.tl/t-16zWYw796O
Elias Livadaris
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Elias Livadaris »

I would kindly ask comandante and anyone else in this forum, NOT TO SEND my buckle to any company was and still dealing with Panerai.

Unless the buckle of mine is blank. With NO engraving on it.

Thanks in advance!!!
Elias

Wins only the one who dares to try!
Yoda
Honorary moderator
Honorary moderator

Post by Yoda »

Elias Livadaris wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 5:02 pm I would kindly ask comandante and anyone else in this forum, NOT TO SEND my buckle to any company was and still dealing with Panerai.

Thanks in advance!!!
Elias
+1, keep a low profile! At this very moment we have a few eyes on what we do, from P*****i, R***x and one more, as long as we don't leave this community it is safe, but they will raise hell if we cross that boarder line.

This is inside information from the past week.
Enviado desde mi fucking Samsung S8.
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

I have a couple of Mario Paci straps ... he was chief engineer for Panerai and he sources and uses the Brelli factory to make his straps.

those original Panerai straps were suppose to be impervious to sea water (for a limited amount of time) and were designated something like "Kodiak leather"

I have seen some standard Brelli straps, but they do not look very appealing
Alpacalypse Now
TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Post by TimemiT »

Here is some history (I appropriated from WUS website)

The History of Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli Original Strap maker of OEM Panerai Straps:

Bruno Bartalucci, stage-name Brelli, was born on May 2nd, 1901 in a little place of Central Tuscany.

When he was 12 years old, learns craft by an artisan shoemaker; at 20 years old sets up shop in Castelnuovo d’Elsa, when soon is well appreciated by his fellow townsmen.

Brelli is well known in the whole Val d’Elsa, by all the valley nobility and aristocracy so that his fame reaches Florence, where, his brother in law, Ippolito Sabatini, has the good idea to open a shoemaker’s shop with accessories in Via Palazzuolo n. 34.

We are at the beginning of 1930, the Brelli’s shop becomes a little factory that, with the help of machinery and expert artisans, produces little hide masterpieces: this is the birth of "Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli".

Giuseppe Panerai becomes customer of "Calzoleria Sabatini" and remains astonished at the exceptional strength of shoes and accessories produced by Brelli. Sig. Panerai asks to Ippolito Sabatini to meet his brother in law: he wants to order an important sampling for the "Regia Marina Militare"; Giuseppe Panerai goes in Castelnuovo d’Elsa where meets Brelli in his laboratory; Panerai shows to Brelli a watch: it’s the prototype of Radiomir and Panerai wants a special strap that can resist to the ruining action of sea water as that particular watch will be the kit of the Division "Incursori" of the Royal Italian Navy (Regia Marina).

Brelli can obtain a greased hide that satisfies the needs of Panerai: he will call it "sea hide". Brelli will supply the most part of straps used by Panerai and due to both the co-operation and friendship, Giuseppe Panerai hires, from Officine Galileo, Enzo Bartalucci, first-born child of Brelli.

Due to this adventurous and demanding job, Enzo is often far from home and his Tuscany; he goes in all military harbour of Italy, he sails the whole Mediterranean sea on different units of Regia M.M.; this direct getting in touch with Marina Militare increases a strong passion for the military professional watches.

Enzo is charmed by the already legendary Radiomir, for which his father produces straps. Many times he went in P.zza Ferraris to deliver to Panerai the monthly production of straps in sea hide and many times he stayed on talking with Giuseppe Panerai and admiring the produced watches: Enzo starts to draw watches. He designs, plans and realizes Aliseo, a watch studied for Army officers appointed to the fire of torpedoes on torpedo-boats destroyers; it’s a Radiomir modified on which it has been applied a big button at h. 9.00 and with "crono" movement (one button). On the dial there is a sliding rule that was used for the immediate calculation of the speed of the enemy ship to be sank; with these data on the aiming system patented by Panerai it was possible to hit the mark with the max facility and rapidity. In the spring of 1940, Enzo is engaged in an important and risky underataking: he has to install and test transmission systems on units of Japanese Navy.

Enzo leaves as a technician, he sails on submarine Mambelli to reach the meeting point in the Atlantic Ocean. The main difficulty of the mission will be to run the blockade made by the English; notwithstanding Italy is not entered the war yet, it is under the control of the Anglo-american Allied Forces. The submarine Mambelli sails across Gibilterra under an Allied transport ship getting confused with it; now the Mambelli can reach the fixed point: on May 20th, at h. 11.12 p.m., at 60 miles South of the Cape of good hope there is the meeting with Guro la Kiso , speedy unit of Japanese Army.

Enzo, in Japan, receives the news of the Italy entry in war and he will come back to Italy on September 27th, 1940. During his stay in Japan, Enzo designs the "Submarine", a watch of about 64/65 mm destined to big depth, planned for the submarine forces and for divers. In the first months of 1941, Enzo Bartalucci becomes part of the testing group for Regia M.M., we are in the middle of the war, Enzo, together with other two colleagues, sails on torpedo-boat destroyer Ardito in order to make important transmission tests ship to ship in the Mediterranean sea on behalf of Officine Galileo.

The end of the Brelli’s first-born child will be tragic; called to perform the Military service in M.M., he will take part in important actions in the Sicily channel and in Aegean sea as NCO on a torpedo-boat destroyer; survived to the bombing raid on Naples, he will die for typhus epidemic in the military hospital of Castellammare di Stabia on August 13th, 1943. In the first ‘1950 Brelli transfers his factory in Castelfiorentino where, with the precious work of 25 artisans, can put all his products on the Italian market; many working prosperous years will follow, full of satisfaction for Brelli who will leave his position to his nephew, Fabrizio Ciampi, the only continuator of his skilful art.

Fabrizio Ciampi or Fabrizio del Brelli continues with dedication the work started by his grandfather and destiny wants that, 60 years later, in 1995, Brelli’s heir and Officine Panerai S.p.A. gather their destinies. Fabrizio Ciampi supplies straps for the historical re-edition of the legendary Luminor Panerai and for this watch, under direct request of Ing. Dino Zei, realizes the "Kodiak", a particular treatment that allows to leather to remain into sea water for 24 consecutive hours. Later Fabrizio Ciampi patented this treatment.
Alpacalypse Now
Comandante
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Comandante »

Elias Livadaris wrote:I would kindly ask comandante and anyone else in this forum, NOT TO SEND my buckle to any company was and still dealing with Panerai.

Thanks in advance!!!
Elias
I haven’t send nothing yet so don’t worry I won’t do that...
I haven’t thought to this problem,sorry!
Elias Livadaris
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Elias Livadaris »

Thanks a lot my friend. I knew you would understand these thin cross lines of the border.

In the past when I was still making buckles, I faced a few problems. And this was one of the three reasons for me stop making buckles :(

Wins only the one who dares to try!
Comandante
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Comandante »

Elias Livadaris wrote:Thanks a lot my friend. I knew you would understand these thin cross lines of the border.

In the past when I was still making buckles, I faced a few problems. And this was one of the three reasons for me stop making buckles :(
Understood mate... what a pity!
I will keep this two buckles inside our community !