Panerai Collection for Sale

Original designs from traditional watchmakers
TicTocTach
VIP
VIP

Panerai Collection for Sale

Post by TicTocTach »

http://www.oliversmithjeweler.com/paner ... collection

So I visited the Panerai store in Aspen, Colorado last month, and had the audacity to wear my Kampfschwimmer homage... this is my beater, go-anywhere-anytime watch, and having met the crew in the store a couple years ago I figured it would be OK. Well, the store staff has changed over, but it was still an interesting discussion. Initially we talked about all the new models on the floor, but when I mentioned that I really liked the vintage pieces better, they took interest. Told me about a collector in Arizona who had a number of war-years watches that he had collected over the years. Something on the order of 30-40 pieces. :shock: The collector had gone as far as to track down the original owners, and obtained paperwork to establish provenance for many/most of the pieces.

These were all going to go up for sale soon, and the sale above looks like the start of that effort. The catalog they showed me had several icons in it, as well as MM's, Egi's, and I believe even one of the MM's with the flexi lug things similar to what Esdee worked on years ago. Incredible parts.

If in the market for a gen, this might be a place to watch.

Also, and more interesting to me, was that the sales guy mentioned that there were a large number of Frankens out there that were produced with parts sold after Old Man Panerai passed away. More interesting still was that he said Panerai has managed to track down almost all of these watches, and was working to obtain them. The goal as I understood it was to identify them as what they are, and then re-market them. A homage from the gen maker... This would initially devalue the Frankens to a real-world level and elevate the gens due to a more thoroughly vetted history.

So there. I've been meaning to post this for a while, but getting an email about the sale gave me the shot to get it done.

Talk amongst yourselves...
Bigscg
VIP
VIP

Re: Panerai Collection for Sale

Post by Bigscg »

Love the 21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VanSong
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by VanSong »

Did saw their youtube video's few days ago regarding the vintage pam.

Here -

https://youtu.be/Q_RQoYLNNmc

https://youtu.be/FqYBqTA1iXo

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

thelonedoc
VIP
VIP

Post by thelonedoc »

Very cool!

2011 Bronzo is about the only thing that catches my eye in that collection though. If I was going to buy a gen vintage panerai the sterile nazi issued 3646 wouldn't be the one. Unless it was a cali of course! Then they would have my full attention.

Now that I think about it the bronzo is probably the only modern pam I actually like. I like it first of all because the submersible design is not trying to pretend to be something it's not. It isnt claiming to be an accurate representation of a vintage watch. It is simply paying homage to the vintage design elements of various references and using them to create something new. And to me it does work. I also have a serious weakness for bronze watches... Throw in a military green dial and I get weak in the knees.

Too bad the 1000's of other modern panerai variations fall short... I would hands down take the homages this community pumps out over every single one of them.

I guess if you forced me I would wear the 21 too... :mrgreen:
mykeos
VIP
VIP

Post by mykeos »

Very interesting,thank you for posting this!
Comandante
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by Comandante »

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

Comandante wrote: September 6th, 2019, 5:25 am Thanks for sharing! Very interesting
+1
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
Rotorua
Centurion
Centurion

Post by Rotorua »

Wow, interesting! Thanks for sharing.

I live 10 min away from Oliver Smith Jewelers in Scottsdale, so I'll need to pay them a visit (preferrably not wearing a homage, I think ;)).
"Morituri te salutant" Gladiators
"Morituri Nolumus Mori" Smart Gladiators
bronzerai
VIP
VIP

Post by bronzerai »

May be time to go visit my father in AZ!
civic4982
VIP
VIP

Post by civic4982 »

Wowza!!! @Bronzerai, I’ll meet you there.

I’d love to get a chance to see or buy one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk