OWC pics and impressions.

Original designs from traditional watchmakers
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

OWC pics and impressions.

Post by Tanukjaju »

One of the perks I get when running the raffle is the I get to check out some watches that go through my hands. This is a work in progress as I’ve suddenly found myself preparing for a short notice trip and have been running around shopping for things and getting things squared away.

First some impressions - I’ve handled a few of these subs from v1 to the latest, and it great to see the brand move constantly improving its product from the case, bracelet construction and movement choice.

THE RAFFLE WATCH

A little shout out to [mention]foxint@foxint.com.au[/mention] whom I know is a huge Hifi person... I started with a photo of the watch draped my little amp... a perfect glow from the tubes. This case has a sexy contour at the side of the midcase (no CG in this instance), perfectly polished and is paired tastefully (IMO) with a knurled crown and bezel.

This pic shows the contour of the mid case a little better - pic provided by Dan

Here is the obligatory lume shot....I really like it that the bezel numbers and indexes glow

If quality and build was all you needed to sell a watch, these watches would sell themselves. After handling a raffle watch a few years ago, I ended up buying myself an OWC. Not free, not discounted, so my opinion aren’t paid for.

Mine is on the right... 2-3 years old... Soprod A-10...these base movements sell on eBay for $350, significantly more than the 2824.... I’m not exactly sure what grade Dan has on these, but mine’s still keeping COSC timekeeping in spite of being heavily used - I just liberated it back from my 14 year old and wife who have been sharing it.

Since I was adding links, I decided it was also time to open the back (of mine) up.... I know that dan had milled the midcase to be paired with the movement. Dan’s probably going to cringe....but as I’ve never seen the insides of one of these, I had to... my watch has had a hard life. Showers, salt water, sandy beaches, sweat, deserts .... it’s often my go to travel watch.

Looking forward to seeing this raffle grand prize with its new owner soon.
:shifty:

TimemiT
Scoundrel
Scoundrel

Re: OWC pics and impressions.

Post by TimemiT »

I'm going to be honest here ... and it's just my general humble opinion across all watches .. it's mine .. but I hope it helps with future micro brands like OWC, because I can truly appreciate the amount of work, decision making and craftsmanship that go into putting together these micro brands!

1. on a sub or diving type of watch ... stout "snowflake" type hands stand out and are a preference (to me) ... if I want mercedes rolex hands .. I'll wear the 4 Rolex that I already have ... not being an uppity FUCK, because I am not ... I am honest as the day is long

2. It's great to see a clean and elegant dial! Putting an anemic date window in a dive watch is like putting tits on a bull ... UNLESS you are putting a cyclops to magnify the date. .. WTF am I going to do with a "date" if I am diving?

3. Some bright C3 blue lume ... we are human moths!

4. I'm a big fan of Soprod and their module mods ... see Panerai 27, 28 & 57C

5. The above was written under the influence of alcohol ... so will shamelessly divert blame to that
Last edited by TimemiT on May 1st, 2019, 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alpacalypse Now
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

Great review- that build is particularly attractive imo
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
jiminpotomac
Super Lost Sheep
Super Lost Sheep

Post by jiminpotomac »

I acquired the exact same A10 milsub that you have a few years ago. It punched WAY out of its weight class. Great finishing on the case and bezel. The details on the face and hands were top-notch. It was a regular in my rotation of Breitling, Panerai, Rolex, Tudor, etc. The only detail I didn't like was the green lume on the bezel. Just a personal thing. The vintage-style lume on the face and hands was great. I actually dipped my milsub in a strong cup of black tea and it "aged" the lume on the bezel.

I made the mistake of selling it (for a profit) to acquire a knife. The knife came, the knife quickly left. But I couldn't tell you what knife it was, but I do miss my OWC milsub.

Great review! Good luck to everyone in the raffle.
Mellons
Chief bottle washer
Chief bottle washer

Post by Mellons »

this has to be one of the best raffle prizes we've ever had...
"Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day,
And tell the world that everything's OK,
But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back,
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black."

http://www.homage-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
drkside
Banned
Banned

Post by drkside »

This watch looks amazing! Love the crown. If I don't win the raffle then I might be a buyer.