this is kind of fun

Original designs from traditional watchmakers
neckyzips
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

this is kind of fun

Post by neckyzips »

these guys, this is an idea a friend of mine and i had years ago, i poo pooed it when i first saw it but its growing on me.
check it out you can "build" your watch with there system, kinda...

https://vorticwatches.com/
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Re: this is kind of fun

Post by Tanukjaju »

Isn’t this part of what you already do?..... less the marketing and less the advertising...and web page?

I remember the forum pass around driving watch that you made that I got My hands on. The problem with American railroad watch conversions, 16S=43mm, so you end up with a watch right at 50mm, not to mention the thickness.... that’s very limiting imo as to who your customer base is.

I had a friend ask me if I could do a conversion of his grandfather’s railroad pocket watch... I showed him the 47 that was on my wrist... he said too big... I told him it would be even bigger 😑

Being a railroader myself, im disappointed that Ball is not longer an all American made watch. I honestly would love to see an all American watch company where everything was made here.
:shifty:

neckyzips
Tinkerer
Tinkerer

Post by neckyzips »

Tanukjaju wrote: March 24th, 2019, 8:10 am Isn’t this part of what you already do?..... less the marketing and less the advertising...and web page?

I remember the forum pass around driving watch that you made that I got My hands on. The problem with American railroad watch conversions, 16S=43mm, so you end up with a watch right at 50mm, not to mention the thickness.... that’s very limiting imo as to who your customer base is.

I had a friend ask me if I could do a conversion of his grandfather’s railroad pocket watch... I showed him the 47 that was on my wrist... he said too big... I told him it would be even bigger 😑

Being a railroader myself, im disappointed that Ball is not longer an all American made watch. I honestly would love to see an all American watch company where everything was made here.
well, that is the goal, all american watch that doesnt start at 10k but i think the real problem is people do not care where its made. i quote a customer," china, they make everything better and cheaper." ... cheaper i will agree on...
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

Your Chinese watch will appeal to 95% of the market.
Your American made watch <1%...then you have to tell a story, Market, sell....

I always go back to VDB’s evolution from a homage/rep builder to prototypes to roduction watches. Lots of marketing, and eventually a big enough fan base willing to spend their money on that vs. other big watches.
:shifty:

blueradish
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by blueradish »

Tanukjaju wrote: March 24th, 2019, 8:27 am Your Chinese watch will appeal to 95% of the market.
Your American made watch <1%...then you have to tell a story, Market, sell....

I always go back to VDB’s evolution from a homage/rep builder to prototypes to production watches. Lots of marketing, and eventually a big enough fan base willing to spend their money on that vs. other big watches.
All good points and VDB is a great example. It is a small pool of people that appreciate the American made timepieces.

That being said I do love the concept of building a watch online and having it made. There are a couple others that do it but not state -side.
Click the banner below to go to my Strap Gallery

Twitter - @BlueRadishStrap
Instagram - @blueradishstraps
Facebook - @blueradishstraps
EP.-
VIP
VIP

Post by EP.- »

I like the idea. Good look with the proyect.