Steinhart watch opinions

Original designs from traditional watchmakers
bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Steinhart watch opinions

Post by bmsm »

Hi all,

I was looking to the Steinhart site and they have pretty looking good pieces listed there. The movements seems to be ETAs and the cases, from the photos, they appear to be nicely built.

Is here anyone who owns and can share their experience with the brand?

Some examples:
https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/dive ... ntage.html €510

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/chro ... -grey.html €1010

Some of the watches are COSC.

Value for the money?
MK_FR91
VIP
VIP

Re: Steinhart watch opinions

Post by MK_FR91 »

I used to own a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military (OVM) v1 back in the day; great great watch and very well made.
bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by bmsm »

That is what I’m expecting and I must say that for €510 with that dial I feel very tempted to buy one.
tafari
VIP
VIP

Steinhart watch opinions

Post by tafari »

I own a ocean 1 before, after I return it 2 times to steinhart because of water resistant problems, the 3. time he paid me the money back. it was some long time back.
for some time I tried the vintage one you are interested in, looks ok but for me it was very light and I don’t like it to much live, in the pictures it looks more better.so I decided to return it back.
Tanukjaju
Village Whore
Village Whore

Post by Tanukjaju »

The ocean one vintage has always been on my list. You can find them on eBay for less. The only slight hesitation was the size. Iirc, these are 42mm? I have small wrists.
:shifty:

bmsm
Watch Idiot
Watch Idiot

Post by bmsm »

They are 42mm
straps68
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by straps68 »

I have had a 44mm pilot watch for five years now and still love it. I had an Aviation in the past but got tired of that one and sold it - that had a inner bezel misalignment, which was pretty common on that model. The case back notches (for the case back remover) on the pilot have pretty sharp edges. Both my watches were made more than five years ago so the above issues may not apply to new wathces. Overall great bang for the buck.
jibuti
VIP
VIP

Post by jibuti »

I have these two at the moment:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/de/flie ... ronze.html

had few in the past too, they do not lose much in value. ETAs and Sellitas are good and reliable choice.

gen for price of rep.....
big eebee
VIP
VIP

Post by big eebee »

Had a few too
Never from steinhart directly
jrlmsla
VIP
VIP

Post by jrlmsla »

I really like the vintage ocean one options. I have come close several times over the years to purchasing one. My big hold ups are:
1. Cost. They seem to inhabit a bizarre place somewhere inside the micro brand and mid grade Swiss watch manufacturing world. To me they are like higher end mass manufactured homage watches. Like I said I love their ocean one vintage offerings. But... I don’t think they are original enough to warrant more than that. But when you think about it there are only so many ways to make a dive watch, or a pilot. Without getting real crazy. Which steers me toward other brands like MKII and Orange. Very similar watches but better... following my reason in #2 below.
2. Steinhart sounds too much like Stein Mart. A department store chain which ironically holds the same position in my mind in the world of department stores. Kinda step up from Walmart and Target but not in the Nordstrom’s or Sak’s Fifth Ave. realm. So I would kind of expect to find Steinhart watches at Stein Mart.

But hey... I’m a big bucket of contradictions. I’ve never thought twice about people thinking my Panerai is a five years employed gift for working at Panera.